Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Camping etiquette ( what's wrong with people ? )

As Arizona becomes more and more California I predict in the next 20 years dispersed camping won't be a thing.  You will have to camp in a campground stacked on top of each other and pay $50 a night for it.  

1 hour ago, missedagain said:

As Arizona becomes more and more California I predict in the next 20 years dispersed camping won't be a thing.  You will have to camp in a campground stacked on top of each other and pay $50 a night for it.  

Is that how it is now in Cali??  Even on National Forest land??

35 minutes ago, stanley said:

Is that how it is now in Cali??  Even on National Forest land??

That’s how it is in AZ now if you follow the designated camping corridors that are on the motor vehicle use map.  I bet half the campsite I see could be ticketed if the forest service enforced their own rules.  They recently enacted this in the high use area around Sedona, only a matter of a few more million residents until every area is “high use”

https://journalaz.com/2022/08/10/usfs-preps-to-limit-camping-on-coconino-national-forest/

32 minutes ago, missedagain said:

That’s how it is in AZ now if you follow the designated camping corridors that are on the motor vehicle use map.  I bet half the campsite I see could be ticketed if the forest service enforced their own rules.  They recently enacted this in the high use area around Sedona, only a matter of a few more million residents until every area is “high use”

https://journalaz.com/2022/08/10/usfs-preps-to-limit-camping-on-coconino-national-forest/

That area wasn’t being used for camping it was being used as a permanent camp site, people basically living there rent free and never moving on. It was getting freaking out of control. I’m glad the USFS finally did something about it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, missedagain said:

Hmmm…..   Interesting.   

Guess I haven’t been around any of the ‘high use’ areas.   My crew and I have some places we like to go hide away in (usually down a two-track).  Seen a FS rep on occasion over the years, but never had a problem.  Seems they are usually just checking for fire rule adherence.  

Im not familiar with the motor vehicle use map.   Suppose I better check it out sometime.  😉

1 hour ago, stanley said:

Hmmm…..   Interesting.   

Guess I haven’t been around any of the ‘high use’ areas.   My crew and I have some places we like to go hide away in (usually down a two-track).  Seen a FS rep on occasion over the years, but never had a problem.  Seems they are usually just checking for fire rule adherence.  

Im not familiar with the motor vehicle use map.   Suppose I better check it out sometime.  😉

I gave up on the map deal. I'm not going back and forth on two maps to see what's open. Post a sign and I will comply. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

It’s hard when you grew up with manners. If you were camped in an area that could fit more than one camp, no one would camp there! It was because people wanted to be out and free with no one around. Now (past 10-15years) people have the heard mentality. Live together, drive together, shop together, and camp together! Uneasy to be camped in a place that’s alone. It’s a horrible experience for those who want to head down a deserted road, set up camp, and relax. I’m not only talking about high traffic areas. I’m talking areas that used to be single serve and now it’s 2-3 camps there. Usually after you’ve/I’ve set up camp. And yes it’s usually Hispanics that set up close to you. Not racist at all but if it’s already been discussed I’ll say it. I’m not saying all Hispanics! I’m saying the ones that are from cities or are new to camping.

Problem is camping isn’t camping anymore. So many want to pull their $80k fifth wheel with $100k truck outfitted with everything that’s in their home and then bitch they can’t get away from crowds. Take a 4x4 with the bare essentials and find the nastiest road that most people these days won’t go down (at least with a truck) and you’ll get away from the crowds 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Sky Island junkie said:

Problem is camping isn’t camping anymore. So many want to pull their $80k fifth wheel with $100k truck outfitted with everything that’s in their home and then bitch they can’t get away from crowds. Take a 4x4 with the bare essentials and find the nastiest road that most people these days won’t go down (at least with a truck) and you’ll get away from the crowds 

I am starting to head back down this path I think. I have a small toy hauler and it is nice for camping, but still requires a fair amount of work. During turkey season me and 2 boys took the tent and the truck and headed into a new area and just tent camped. I like the trailer, but some places I would like to camp a trailer just wouldn't go. So we are probably going to start mixing in the more primitive camping again. 

• Like 4

It's hard to get away from  the toy hauler  or trailer with  the wife  and kids. Once you  get them in a trailer  it's usually  all over for tent camping.  They like the water on tap and ac and a soft bed. Not to mention  the hot shower  and toilet  that you don't  have to worry  about some guy with  a spotting  scope digiscoping you taking a dump.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, missedagain said:

Funny everyone  bashes California  .I moved from there almost  20 years ago now . And we never had this issue  when we went  camping.  They did have a pass you'd have to buy for some  area's  but that was it. Camped mostly  in Central  and Southern  California.  Not all California  is Brandon f- Ed up. Just Central and most of the north  part of the state . The Southern parts and parts of Central  up to just before  San Fran are dedicated  red