rtkemp

Turnaround Times?

Curious what everyone is experiencing for taxidermy work.  Im waiting on some work and am patient but curious.  I have used different taxidermists over the years and just curious about actual times these days post covid.  Thanks

It seems like the truly professional, organized guys have less than 18 months turns. If you think about it, if their delay is longer than that, they have either experienced a major operations problem, of they are taking in too much work. Take it for what its worth, but basically every full-time taxidermist that I have visited that has more than a 20 month turn time ALSO has a shop that looks disorganized, dirty, and is not managing their inflow and outflow well, and I usually don't like the look of their work anyway. Sounds harsh but its what I've seen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

Mogollon taxidermy runs about 12 months. He has a lot of mounts to work on and a small crew to help but they are amazing!

Yep, Clay was right on 12 months for me.

• Like 1

Been doing it for over 25 years and run about 6 months …..

thing we’re a little slower right during Covid and just after - the main tannery I use couldn’t work while Covid was going on ( in California and tannery wasn’t “essential”) but they could have there warehouse open to except salted hides ….. so they stock piled them and that took awhile for them to get hides back once they started back …… they aren’t quite as fast as they were pre covid , but they are getting to there . 

Getting forms and eyes and supplies is about the the same , was a little hard to get somethings for awhile / backordered etc …. 

but they have almost caught back up as well ….. still a few things that are a little slow - I made a big order about two and half weeks ago and 80% came in 4-5 days the other 20% hasn’t gotten here …. More of the specialty types of things - they use to have a bunch more forms already made , but now some they don’t even make until I order , for example I ordered a watusi / long horn steer form for a  6’ set of horns for a shoulder mount and they said - it will have to be made - it been almost 3 weeks and still not here … 

still run about 6 months with a few things a month or two longer depending on availability of the form etc ….. 

Eli, that’s a great turnaround time and the buck looks awesome! 

I only take in a certain amount of work each year. I quote a 12 month turnaround, but usually complete within 10 months. It’s a more of a passion for me, so I try and care for each piece.

Couple bucks finished up the last few months.

6AD87CDD-1268-4FD1-9997-DD23583538B4.jpeg

1FC3AD2E-5F37-43D1-A66A-6573D90F606B.jpeg

8486188E-3C8E-4C84-950B-75321C7DAC92.jpeg

57E2586C-D8A9-484B-8845-039B353D6513.jpeg

• Like 7

Been told the MI tannery most use has a pretty long delay right now. I feel like the best get it done under 15 months even if they are taking in a lot of mounts.