Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Hatch Green Chili Source?? (EXTRA HOT / HOT)

14 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

which market?  I buy from Superstition Ranch Market in AJ every year for my hatch hot sauce. They have good chilis every year 

IMG_5443.jpeg

IMG_5596.jpeg

That sauce looks good. How can I get some?

• Like 2

YES!!!     

As I’ve found in many aspects of my life, all I needed was a little patience (and persistence)!  Dropped by my regular place this morning and they had the big roaster sitting out front.  I knew that was a good sign and BOOM, a 30Lb sack of X-Hot!!  👊🏼

Gonna be smelling good around here this weekend! 😉  (She’s already liking the smell, and I haven’t even started roasting yet… 😜😂)

IMG_3662.jpeg

4 minutes ago, MogollonMan said:

For you home roasters, any tips? Do you throw them on the grill or do you have one of those fancy roller baskets?

Grill for me, then into a plastic bag for five minutes. I'll be doing some this morning to make chili that will cook most of the day. Antelope and elk. I usually never add beans but soaked some pintos overnight and just added them so some water to slowly heat up with salt, tumeric, ground garlic and black pepper.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MogollonMan said:

For you home roasters, any tips? Do you throw them on the grill or do you have one of those fancy roller baskets?

Echoing PRDATR….   Grill to blister them, then sweat them in a sealed plastic bag for a while.    The skin will usually come right off.  (I’m a little OCD about it and strive for a super ‘clean’ skin removal.  Think like; the way the skin will slide off of a well roasted marshmallow … LOL)

I don’t really like the big roller-roasting method.   I found when I purchased them pre-roasted that way, there’s a lot of black flakes of roasted skin throughout the chili batch.    That can be good sometimes for some extra roasty-toasty flavor, but when I’m canning them, I prefer the chilies be a little ‘cleaner’.  

Also plus 1 on PRDATR’s comments on using the chilies with game (or pork).  LOVE a big batch of ‘green chili’!! 

I put them on the propane grill on high , but also take a hand torch and hit the spots that aren’t blistering enough for my liking. It really speeds up the process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stanley said:

Echoing PRDATR….   Grill to blister them, then sweat them in a sealed plastic bag for a while.    The skin will usually come right off.  (I’m a little OCD about it and strive for a super ‘clean’ skin removal.  Think like; the way the skin will slide off of a well roasted marshmallow … LOL)

I don’t really like the big roller-roasting method.   I found when I purchased them pre-roasted that way, there’s a lot of black flakes of roasted skin throughout the chili batch.    That can be good sometimes for some extra roasty-toasty flavor, but when I’m canning them, I prefer the chilies be a little ‘cleaner’.  

Also plus 1 on PRDATR’s comments on using the chilies with game (or pork).  LOVE a big batch of ‘green chili’!! 

Thanks Stanley.

So I had about a 2#'santelope roast that was part of a donation from Big Browns a few years ago, thanks Adam. the Elk was from the five point I killed last year thanks to Grant Hotmann and Tyler Sanchez.

I grilled and peeled six chili's along with six tomatillos, a head of garlic and a vidalia  onion that was cut in half. I use a simple seasoning after I cut off every bit of silver skin. Which took well over an hour since with the elk there was close to four-five pounds of meat. I'm really anal about getting it off and the resort to a fillet knife on the intermuscular ligaments. I use a 50/50 mix of cumin and chili powder and use some iodized seal salt after I cut up the meat at the rate of about 1/4tsp per pound and let it sit for 10 minutes or so before I add the seasoning. Then I mix it up and sprinkle it with all purpose flour and led it rest before I put it in the cast iron skillet, preheated with EVO. I then add in the diced peppers and onions. I let them cook on a medium heat (it they don't sizzle when you first put them in the heat is too low).

Once it starts to get going, I let it cook until the bottom starts to brown and the blood starts to sweat out of the meat. Once that appears I stir it up and let it brown a bit more, maybe a minute. Then I put it in a BIG bowl, at least 6qts and start all over. This time it took about 40 minutes as I was also still grillin peppers.

I also sprinkle in some menudo spice mix each time I put meat in the skillet to add some flavor. I like about 1/3 tsp. Once everything is in the pot, I use a 12-15 qt enameled pot that is for making steamed tomale's I let it simmer on low until the flavors come together. Usually about 4-5 hours. I also add a large bar of dark chocolate. If the chili's don't add enough flavor, I put some dried peppers in some hot water and then put them in a blender and puree them for a few minutes and add then slowly with the intent of adding a stronger flavor and that reddish color people associate with chilli.

Like I said, I usually don't add beans. I used pinto beans since out of all the beans they have the most protein and are the cheapest. If you  have a Bashas near you try the Anasazi Beans as they cook faster and have a nutty flavor. Food City sells Peruvian Beans which also cook fairly quick and have a very creamy/silky texture.

If beans make you toot, add a 1/2 tsp of baking soda to a full tsp to the water when you soak/cook them and it will negate the affect for the most part. But it will flatten the taste so you will need to add in some salt to bring the flavor out.

They were roasting Hatch Chili's in the local Fry's so we bought a couple sacks

They said they'd been there for a month and this was their last day.

Try Anasazi beans. No soaking and less tooting.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 5:33 PM, CatfishKev said:

Question, do you gotta roast them and peel them to can them?

On 8/18/2023 at 7:31 PM, CatfishKev said:

I wondered because I've heard so many people talking about peeling them over the years. Honestly didn't know why.

Are you using a pressure canner?

Well @CatfishKev, as planned, tried some without roasting and peeling first.  

Result: FAIL!! 

I decided to do some similar to how I’ve done jalapeños in the past. Basically pickling them under high pressure with the skin on (and no roasting). It seems like the Green Chili skin is significantly thicker and more durable than it is on a jalapeño. The result was a strange texture that tasted OK, but was sort of weird to eat.  

The ones that I roast and then jar/can, I’ll generally use as an additive to other foods throughout the year (eggs, salads, sandwiches, cheeseburgers, etc.).  I think skin off is better.  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This takes me back to my childhood and my grandmother breaking any child labor law there ever was.  We would grease each chili in crisco,  roast them on a wood stove with mesquite in August in tucson.   Then husk corn for what felt like days.  Those were the easy parts and then grind corn by hand until me and my brothers had arms that look like something out of he-man.  She would make 100 dozen tamales at a time. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

My wife bought some hot and they are so hot we can't eat them. I can't imagine extra hot.

I always get the mild and sometimes they can be a little hot. Good stuff though.

• Like 1