Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Anything I should know before buying a trager?

Looking  to get rid of my old BBQ. It's seen better  days 😪  .I've  had it just as long as the wife of 24 years  and it's time  to retire  it. Was looking  at the trager  for a replacement  for the grill and the smoker and free up patio space . Anything  I should  know before  buying  . The good or the bad .

• Like 1

You gotta shop vac out the ash on a traeger, and not sure if they have a pellet release to change out types.  I went with camp chef.  At the end of the day you will have smoked meat with any brand you go with.  I'm a best bang for the buck guy and camp chef serves that purpose well imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get a pellet tube off amazon too. You can use them to cold smoke and add extra smoke if you want a heavier smoke profile.  

• Like 1

I like mine, but it was free several years ago so I didn't shop them...cranked up on high it sears good enough, but definitely not a true sear. If I was buying one now I don't know which I'd choose.

25 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

You gotta shop vac out the ash on a traeger, and not sure if they have a pellet release to change out types.

I think the newer ones have a pellet release...mine doesn't and I just scoop them out if I want to change before burning them all.

+1 on the smoke tube too.

• Like 2

I shopped around and went with the Camp Chef. Has a dump gate for ashes and one for pellets. Also purchased the propane sear box that mounts to the side. Gets mega hot. Great set-up for what I need and easy to use/maintain. 

• Like 1

I picked up a Pro 22 ( my third, don’t ask) . I’ve had nothing but problems with the temp control.  Traegers replaced the temp probe, controller, and then send a whole new fire  box which is essentially the whole grilling part.  It still swings to 455 when set at 350, I don’t trust it to leave it alone to cook which  is one of the big attractions of pellet grills for me. I think that their Chinese factories quality control went down hill. The other two I’ve had worked spot on, I still have one of them and never get more than a 15 degree swing up or down from set temp.

I  have not used a Pitboss, but they are a lot of grill for the money.  I’m wishing now I had gone with one.

• Thanks 1

I have one I’ve cooked on at least twice a week for past few years.  Love it. 

Edited by mc68
Missed language
  • Like 1

Mine is on it's last leg, it's about 9 years old and I use it allot.   It's been a good grill but like others have said doesn't sear well at all.  I've been eyeing the pit boss, that will be my spring patio addition.  I also am tired of shop vacing the ashes.  Might have to check out the camp chef also.  Good luck either way!  Poppers going on the grill today for the Cards 3rd loss...  So sad lol

I wouldn't use a grill that needs to be plugged in. I love my green egg. I also just got a camp chef with all the goodies. The pizza oven is the best mo ey I've ever spent. 

• Haha 1

Only thing you should know is that you should have bought one long ago. There are some pretty good deals on used ones online.