Hoss50

Budget Rangefinder?

My younger son is Gung ho on hunting and wants to get himself a laser rangefinder for his gear. He is running on a budget of about $200-250 roughly. 

What is out there and what has good performance and warranty? I have a Sig 2200 and like it alot, but I have heard Sigs warranty sucks. Mine is starting to act up and I am sure Sig will tell me I am SOL because I am outside the 5yr warranty. 

I am seeing the Vortex 1800 on sale at Sportsman's for $260 and a Leupold 1400 for $199. Thoughts or suggestions? 

I bought my son the Sig Buckmaster 1500 last spring.  Spent about $125.  It has worked great this season.  I can't comment on warranty, however.  At that cost, I look at it as a disposable item. 

• Like 3

My understanding of the Sig warranty is it's 5 years for tritium and electronic illumination components.  The rest is infinite guarantee.   So, if your rangefinder is over 5 years old and not illuminating anymore, your out of luck.  If it stops ranging properly,  I believe they'll warranty it.

I have a Sig kilo 5k and love it.  Had to warranty a romeo zero red dot once and it was fast and easy.

The only feature that I require when it comes to rangefinders is angle compensation.

the Leupold 1400 has been solid for me. 

i tried a bunch when i bought my last one with a budget up to $500, ended up with the Nikon Monarch and have no regrets. it felt better in hand, i liked the clarity, etc

My sig started to act up and wasn't under warranty. I went with the Maven rf1 5-4500 yd. It has a lifetime unconditional warranty.

+1 for me on the sig. I haven't needed to see what their warranty service is like, so that's a good thing.

7 hours ago, Couesdeer said:

I bought my son the Sig Buckmaster 1500 last spring.  Spent about $125.  It has worked great this season.  I can't comment on warranty, however.  At that cost, I look at it as a disposable item. 

+1 on this one.  I bought one just to carry backpacking for sheep as a backup as it’s all plastic and weighs like 2oz.  Lightning fast, Angle compensating, and ranges to 1500 easily.  Would take it over my Leica 1600b any day.  Same thing, got it on sale at SW for $125.  

• Like 2