cannonball

Can you enter draw at 9?

27 minutes ago, zslayer said:

Do not have to be 10 by range day anymore if that was the case.  You can take hunters safety at 9 and compete at 9 (range day).  Only requirement is to turn 10 prior to start of hunt you’re applying for.

That is great news as we will doing this again in 2 years for an Oct. b-day, so I feel better that it won't be the same logistical deal

Some folks start the bonus point gathering as soon as they get their newborn a ss #.    Ironic the license cost $5 but tag fee is way more for just a bonus point.

2 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

Some folks start the bonus point gathering as soon as they get their newborn a ss #.    

Dudes above said this is not possible? 

• Like 1

Yep not possible. As others have said, you cant buy points until 10 yrs of age. 

When my daughter was 9, I had to actually apply her for a long shot hunt to get a point. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

When my daughter was 9, I had to actually apply her for a long shot hunt to get a point. 

I stand corrected ... things have changed.  It would be a little funny if she were drawn ... better buy that protection thing too.

49 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

This is what I had to do too for my kids when they were 9 still. I had to put in a hunt number as others have stated as well, bonus point option will not go thru and let you purchase it, you have to input a hunt number. 

Ha ha like I said I might be wrong and I am wrong. I talked to a buddy and like 15 years ago he said he was doing this. Looks like they closed this loop hole, I just hope the other one does not get closed.

37 minutes ago, MogollonMan said:

This place has gotten as bad as FB with guys sharing wrong, bad, and even dangerous information. 😒

Come on, it’s not THAT bad. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MogollonMan said:

This place has gotten as bad as FB with guys sharing wrong, bad, and even dangerous information. 😒

Not even close! I posted a picture of a vacuum canister on a FB jeep page asking what it did. I had a ton of messages letting me know how stupid I was for asking a question. 99% of the guys that answered were 100% wrong. Lesson learned

On 1/16/2024 at 7:10 PM, twigsnapper said:

You can’t buy a bonus point until they are 10 years old.  You can apply 9 year olds for hunts but they have to turn 10 before the hunt starts.  

I believe they have to be 10 at the draw deadline to buy them a point.  I had to apply my son for a buffalo tag even though I had no intention of hunting it because he was only 9 at the draw deadline and the system won’t let you buy the point if they aren’t already 10.

Will he get a bonus pt that way( applying for a hunt) ?

2 hours ago, azbow said:

Will he get a bonus pt that way( applying for a hunt) ?

Yes, if they don’t draw the tag they get a point.

On 1/16/2024 at 2:43 PM, cannonball said:

I was able to get her an AGFD customer number and purchase a license as well as enter her for elk and antelope. Interestingly when I tried to select bonus point only I got an error saying she wasnt old enough, but I was able to enter specific hunt numbers....thanks all

Correct.  Applicants have to be 10 years old to buy the bonus point.  We get this question all the time in Hunter Ed classes.

On 1/16/2024 at 7:10 PM, twigsnapper said:

You can’t buy a bonus point until they are 10 years old.  You can apply 9 year olds for hunts but they have to turn 10 before the hunt starts.  

I believe they have to be 10 at the draw deadline to buy them a point.  I had to apply my son for a buffalo tag even though I had no intention of hunting it because he was only 9 at the draw deadline and the system won’t let you buy the point if they aren’t already 10.

^This..

As long as the child is 10 by or on opening day of the hunt, they can hunt it.  If they turn 10 on day 2 (or 3), they cannot hunt.  Its in the regs and I've had a long, drawn-out discussion with my AGFD friends about this.  It isn't changing, unfortunately.

On 1/17/2024 at 9:09 AM, MogollonMan said:

I wouldn’t put my tag on the line off information I got here.

• Like 2

I put my grandson in for elk when he was 9 and would be 10 in August. He didn’t draw and also didn’t get a pt. I was told they aren’t eligible for pts until their 10th Bday. 

• Like 1