coueshunter

Kaibab

What a fantastic time..........Great campmates and a great hunt. I got up to the Kaibab on wednsday before friday's opener to meet Duwane Adams and Luke Adams. Luke would be my guide on this hunt. I couldnt wait, had to get on the road.........got camp all set up with the help of Luke Adams.........post-2-1291084620_thumb.jpg

The finished product was great, now for the inside.......post-2-1291084753_thumb.jpg

The tent/camp is all ready for Chef, Lynton and a client named Bill. I am pumped, Duwane, Luke and I went out driving/glassing for deer wed night. We ended up seeing 2 bucks I would shoot, both with does and man was I pumped. Friday couldnt get here quick enough. Thursday a.m. came around and we went out scouting. We saw alot of deer, the weather was great. Thursday afternoon we saw one gigantic buck (somewhere around 30' wide) and another big typical buck. I would shoot either of these bucks. We stayed till dark, not bumping the bucks and got back to camp after dark. Talk about your motor running, I could hardly sleep, my dreams were going to come true in the morning we would just hike down to where we had those 2 big bucks, set up and wait to find them. Man this is easy.........LOL.............Friday a.m.: alarm goes off at 4:30, I am ready. I eat, drink a bunch of coffee and we head out. The wind is absolutely howling, the temperature has dropped. We get down to where we were the night before, wait for light. light comes and we search and search for deer. We hike around and find deer right down layed up in the bottoms. No movement, no re-enactment of the night before, the game has changed. The storms are coming in and we get snow.........almost a white out at times........we hunt hard all day. Pass on alot of medium bucks, 1 big three point....................Saturday: We head out to a different area. Once we get there, there was 30-40 mph winds/snow. We cant hunt this area the way we want to so Luke heads back to the general area we were friday. We move from bowl to bowl, glassing and trying to find the deer down in the bottoms. They are hunkering down, the wind is nasty. We hunt all day, seeing alot of does and Small bucks, but nothing big enough to get the blood pumping..........The temp has really dropped and it is snowing heavy.................post-2-1291085497_thumb.jpg

Well as you can see we woke up to a ton of snow Sunday morning. The game is on, those last few deer that were on top should be moving now...........We have a game plan if only the wind cooperates...........we head on out and go where we were going saturday morning. The wind is still going strong but in our face so we hike on in. We went about 1 mile in the dark. We bumped a few deer and got to our glassing spot. Duwane and luke set up the 15's while I scanned with 10's. It was intermittently blowing and snowing. I saw a smaller forked horn buck running towards us, but no does and no big bucks. We glassed for about 1 hour then luke picked up some does in the cedars. He then glassed up a buck bedded under a cedar. Luke waved me over so I grabbed my gun/pack and got down to him. I looked through Duwane's 15's and saw the bucks butt, back and back right forks. He had tons of mass.........Both Luke and Duwane got looks at him and said he was a shooter. I set up leaning over a blow down and found the buck in my scope. Luke asked if I was ready and I told him "as ready as I can be". Well the wind/snow picked up and Duwane said "lets wait a bit, it should die down around 10:00". I was happy, I felt kinda shaky on the log. Luke had me reposition myself. . i put my pack over a different log and rested over the pack. We waited about 1/2 hour and the snow storm moved somewhat past us, giving us a break where the wind wasnt blowing so hard and the snow had let up. Luke ranged the buck at 410 yards. I got steady and lined up the shot. Deep exhale and I shoot. Nothing.......I missed.....re-locate the buck in the scope, he hasnt moved and I shoot again, sounded/felt like a good shot. He moves 5 yards to the right broadside with his front right shoulder exposed. I shoot again and hit him hard, he humps up and stumbles through the cedars out into somewhat open area. I re-locate him again and shoot, but he is falling already (unknown to me because he went behind a snag/brushpile) Duwane yells "he is going into the canyon" I am looking all over, spooked, I cant find the buck.......I look back at Duwane and he is laughing. He said "your buck is down, I can see his legs sticking up". Man my adrenaline was pumping.............whew.................Well we get loaded up while Luke stays on the 15's.....we hike on over to where the buck fell and man what a nice buck. What a ton of mass...........post-2-1291086535_thumb.jpg

what a great hunt. What great people..........post-2-1291086603_thumb.jpg

post-2-1291086650_thumb.jpg

I am truly blessed to have gotten this tag and thankful to all the work that Luke and Duwane put into this hunt. I also really enjoyed Chef sharing my tent and sharing his hunt with me. His story should be up shortly. Thanks again to www.arizonabiggamehunting.com Luke and Duwane Adams (a longtime sponsor of CouesWhitetail.com)..........

Congratulations Allen on a great buck! Great work on the story and the pictures, completey awesome!