mtngoat

What GPS does everyone use?

I just got a Delorme Earthmate PN-40 on ebay. So far so good, it seems to be pretty user friendly, if you're familiar with how most gps units function. So what's you're gps of choice?

I am not big into electronic thingymakabobs. I always rely on the sun, landscape and my trusty roll of orange construction tape (if needed) and my Danner Boots for that long trek if I get lost.

I have the garmin 60C. They don't make that model any longer it is now the 60CSX, this one has a sd card which gives you a lot of memory. I really wouldn't consider another brand. Good luck with your Delorme Earthmate.

And to you Greg, I've been in that position tooo many times in the old days!! I don't miss hitting the road at dark and trying to quess which way the truck is!!

I have the Garmin 60csx. I have three different topo maps of Arizona not including the land ownership topo map on one card.. On another card I have three NM topo maps. They no longer make it since it had been replaced by the 62 series. I really like the unit especially the larger color screen over their old standard etrex series.

I use a Garmin etrex... small, simple, not too many features which is good. All I need it for is to mark the camp/truck in case I get lost.

+ 1 same here quick and simple

I use a Rino 130, the one with the electronic compass and barometric altimeter, no color screen. I use it to double check my ballistic program. The electronic compass is nice, if you know how to calibrate it. you don't have to be moving for it to work. I'd like to see the new color touch screen rinos.

I have the older rhino 110. The thing I like about the rhino's is that you can keep track of the other guys as long as they have them too. Nothing worse than trying to explain where you are to someone when you don't know where they are.

me and my boys all have rhinos. i have one mostly for the radio. the gps deal and me don't get along real good. my kids say the work real well. Lark.

I just got a Delorme Earthmate PN-40 on ebay. So far so good, it seems to be pretty user friendly, if you're familiar with how most gps units function. So what's you're gps of choice?

I've had the PN-40 a couple of years. It has worked well fo me . The only con for me is that the battery life could last longer. I mainly use it for directions to marked waypoints and topo map reference so it's turned off most of the time.

It does have nice topo maps with good references points ,roads, trails, mountain peaks, creeks, campgrounds ect. I subscribe to the Delorme map download service for 29.95 a year and download the arial maps for hunting areas that I'm interested in straight to my laptop and PC. I can make routes and waypoints in the Delorme Topo 8 program on the computer and download them to the PN-40. It really works well once you learn the program. I credit the system for finding many a AZ wet tank for me.

I use a Garmin etrex... small, simple, not too many features which is good. All I need it for is to mark the camp/truck in case I get lost.

+1. Very Easy To Use.

Just this summer I upgraded to the Garmin 62CSX and WOW, it's a great unit. I didn't have topo maps on my GPS before and that really makes things nicer. I love this unit, although it does go through the batteries, but it only takes two AA so I just carry extra with me. I have it most of the time when I am doing the owl surveys, but for hunting I wouldn't have it on so much and the battery life would be fine.

I picked up a Magellon Triton, it uploads topos and seems to work as intended...great for trying to find your vehicle in the dark.