azhuntnut

Hiking socks- what do you use

Over the last couple years, I have had trouble with blisters on the back of my right heal and sides of my toes. This has happened even while using boots that already had at least 50 miles on them. I have tried different types of socks, but I would like to hear from other members about what hey use, as well as feedback on them. I am tired of covering my feet with Mole skin before each hike. David

David, I use thin wicking liner socks and Smartwool socks. I had a pair of boots once that required the use of molefoam on the heels to prevent blisters. Your problem may be the boot fit rather than the socks.

Doug

• Like 1

I use Lorpen and Smart Wool socks, and smart wool liners, I've never had a blister. Keep an eye on camofire.com, they have great deals for Lorpen socks all the time.

• Like 1

I have an older pair of liners that I really like hiking in they are a "rougher" type then the current ones. The newer ones I bought are more "silky", smooth and slippery. I prefer the older ones.

I prefer smart wool socks, and I always wear two pairs.

• Like 1

Sounds like it might be time for new boots. 3 yrs ago in preperation for a 10 Day wilderness I went to over 10 different stores in different states searching for the "MY" perfect boot. Coupled with research on line I finally found it. Through that I learned that the Danner Pronghorns I had were not the boot for me. When I tell people I had trouble with em they look at me like I'm from a different planet! Everyone's foot is different so you need to find what's right for your foot not what's popular. I know this thread is about socks but some boots just won't work no matter what kind of sock or how many you wear. It sounds like it could be a boot problem. I was definitely in denal with my pronghorns, there one of the best right? Not knocking em. As for socks I only wear smart wool, high quality. Nothing else!!! Yea their $15+ a pair but when your hunt is ruinined because you can walk, now which is more expensive! Anyway sorry for the long write up hope this helps. Good luck! I know a good place you might sell those boots! Lol!

2 pairs of socks work for me. aloe socks inside. smart wool outside. no blisters even with new boots. if i wear 1 pair forget it..my feet hurt. just what works for my feet.

Smart wool, Lorpen, Under Armour, I use different ones for different things mostly based on how heavy weight the wool is. I use the UA for warm weather walking but overall like the Smart Wool brand the best.

What I have learned is changing your socks after a hard hike or half way through the day will save your feet. I used to do the liners but prefer this method now. Really good boots that fit make a huge difference as well.

I like a good wool blend sock too. Haven't had much luck with 2 pairs of socks including liners.

WOOL or wool blend is the way to go. (also boots that fit correctly)

As has aleady been said Smart wool, Lorpen, Keen even Costco has some heavy wool boot socks that work in the cooler weather.

I recently bought a new pair of the meindl's, but just couldn't them broke in. I figured my boots might be the main issue with my feet getting messed up. I have been wearing the danner pronghorns for the past 7 years, but I noticed there quality has gone down hill. So today I stopped into an REI and tried a pair of Soloman Quest GTX's and they felt great. I walked all over the store and the rock pile. Tried kneeling down in different positions and just couldn't find anything bad about them. So I will be adding these to my collection.

I saw these socks online and wondered if anybody has ever used them? David

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outfitter-Series8482-Lightweight-Socks/752303.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D10005237%26Ne%3D10005237%26No%3D40%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3D%2Bsocks%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3D%2Bsocks%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=+socks&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products