azhuntnut

Hiking socks- what do you use

I recently bought a new pair of the meindl's, but just couldn't them them broke in. I figured my boots might be the main issue with my feet getting messed up. I have been wearing the danner pronghorns for the past 7 years, but I noticed there quality has gone down hill. So today I stopped into an REI and tried a pair do Soloman Quest GTX's and they felt great. I walked all over the store and the rock pile. Tried kneeling down in different positions and just couldn't find anything bad about them. So I will be adding these to my collection.

I saw these socks online and wondered if anybody has ever used them? David

http://www.cabelas.c...ch-All Products

David, I've not tried those socks but I like that they don't have cotton in them. (I also like that they're made in the USA.)

I just bought a pair of these at Bass Pro but haven't spent enough time in them to give you an opinion other than they seem comfy. Maybe a little thick. (Made is USA also.)

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Lifetime-Guarantee-AllPurpose-Socks-for-Men-1-Pair/product/34713/93735

Here are some lighter ones, also American made.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHeadreg;-Day-Hiker-Socks-for-Men--1-Pair/product/34717/82768?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

These are both spendier than the Cabela's socks you were looking at but also have more wool (and the whole Cabela's v. Bass Pro debate often comes down to which requires less gas to get to).

Interesting that the US seems to still be in the sock-making business. I like that.

-Jim

Under Armor Socks and Boots are top notch! Any boots that give me blisters after a month of wearing scouting/checking cams gets thrown in the trash or returned. Your feet are your livelihood out there and if you can't walk your lion food.

• Like 1

I really like the Wigwam Merino Wool Comfort Hiker socks. They hold up great and are very comfortable. Also take a look at Darn Tough Socks VT.

For the original poster with the blister issues, blister prevention begins with good boot fit. Who cares what everyone else thinks is the best brand, get a pair of boots that fit YOUR feet well and you will have far less problems with blisters and fit. A good dry pair of wool socks goes a long way in preventing foot issues. Wet feet are often the cause of blisters, so remember to air out your feet when you take a break or change your socks.

• Like 1

Here are the best Socks Patagonia Leightweight Merino Hiking Socks. I have used these in all types of weather and they have never failed me. They keep your feet dry and don't smell (the best part I have never had a blister while waring these socks). I will put on my list Darn Tough Socks as # 2, however I have to say Patagonia is #1 in my opinion… Hope this Helps.

I backpack a lot (youngest boy still in scouts) like 200-400 miles a year. What works for any one person doesn't work for everybody. That said, here is my solution.

No waterproof boots - They don't breath after the AZ dust clogs up the Gore tex and they only hold moisture in when it warms up - or when you step in water above the ankle height of the boot. Better to have a boot that lets moisture out and dries than have one that stays wet for days at a time. I do wear waterproof boots in very cold weather with snow, but that isn't usually the case in AZ.

Socks - I only wear one pair at a time, but always have a spare pair in my pack. If I am hiking enough that my feet get moist with sweat (or dew / rain / etc.) the next break I take I switch my socks out. If it isn't raining out, I safety pin the moist socks to the outside of your pack and they will be dry in a half hour. Any time I am taking a 20 minute break while hiking, my boots are off so my feet are drying. You will go straight to callouses using this method and skip the blisters altogether.

Warm damp feet get blisters. Cool dry feet do not - assuming there isn't a boot fitment issue.

And - NO COTTON. I know that should go without saying, but figured I would say it.

Smartwool all the way. Used them for the first time on my CO elk hunt and I was very impressed

The key ingredient in socks is Merino wool. It is the best wool, way better than other wool. I like danner socks. They are so comfortable that I give them as gifts to people who don't hike. They are so comfy in the winter. You have to pay more than $10. Don't buy cheap. Happy feet.

Smartwool for most seasons... But for cold look at the JB Icelandic http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049HMMNI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0049HMMNI&linkCode=as2&tag=thesav02-20

Oh and Always keep Moleskin in your pack and use at first hint you may be getting a blister .... If boots keep giving blisters after more than a few trips and several miles look at the size probably wrong...

I've been looking into socks... I've been using the Under Armour Hitch Lite sock for a few years now and I love them. I hunt mostly early season so I dont need a sock to keep my feets warm just something comfy for long hikes.. I really cant complain about the Under Armour hitch lite other than it doesnt retain odor very well. After doing some research I came across this company called " Darn Tough Socks" they make socks specifically for hikers, mountain bikers, and hunters. Everything I read on them is something like this " Darn Tough Socks are the best socks you will own and you will end up owning at least a few pairs after you try on the first pair"....

Check em out.. 20 dollars a pop but probably worth it.

https://darntough.com/

• Like 1

darn tough is all i use and i wear them daily. I,m on my feet all day on concrete and they have been great. When I hike i like liners under them and use brideport liner from lathrop and sons.

• Like 1

darn tough is all i use and i wear them daily. I,m on my feet all day on concrete and they have been great. When I hike i like liners under them and use brideport liner from lathrop and sons.

Sweet man! I just bought some new Crispi boots and I was researching insoles and a lot of avid hunters were recommending Lanthrop and Sons so I bought the 50 dollar insoles and after miles on my feet hanging cameras I can honestly say I have zero complaints about Crispi or Lanthrop and Sons insoles. Every one who wears Darn Tough Socks says the same thing you do..I'm ordering some Friday and plan on really using them come Sept. 15th Oh yeah if anyone is interested in Crispi Ross Outdoors in Phoenix just started carrying them yesterday. So now you can actually go try on a pair of 300 boots and see if you like them.

Darn Tough are the best I've worn!! I also wear them to work, to work out in and hunt and backpack. Great socks, huge selection and a lifetime warranty. You won't be disappointed!

Scott

• Like 2