Alpinebullwinkle

Early Rut ?

Just got back from a couple days in 6A - very few bugles this morning. None during the night and none the night before in an area where I know there are bulls because I saw them. Last week, one old boy was bugling his, um, marbles off from 8pm-9am. Heard him a few times at around 7am today. I was on the move at 4:30.

Two 5 pointers on my trailcam at water less than 1/2 mile from where I was sleeping under the stars Tuesday night and not a peep from either one. Maybe it was the early rising moon?

Getting worried. Getting fired up. It's almost game time.

I was kept up all night the other night with multiple bugles going crazy, usually they don't keep me awake til late Sept. I've seen more rutting activity this year already then I have some years in the past all year long. Should be an awesome year. Seen some really good bulls already will be fun.

Distant bugles all night long at Fool Hollow Lake. Wish the kids could have heard it but they were already asleep.

Less than a week to go! :D

the rut is starting for sure. smaller bulls are bugling. some are with cows. big bulls are still quiet from what I've seen and heard.

I was deer hunting and thought I'd attempt my cow calling on the real thing just to see if my practice worked cuz the this bull kept bugling close to me. I called a small 6x into 6 yards. he kept looking for me (hiding behind a tree stump) . he even circled me and never spooked. he knew something wasn't right and walked off eventually. lets just say that made my day and gave me a little boost of confidence for sure.

• Like 4

the rut is starting for sure. smaller bulls are bugling. some are with cows. big bulls are still quiet from what I've seen and heard.

I was deer hunting and thought I'd attempt my cow calling on the real thing just to see if my practice worked cuz the this bull kept bugling close to me. I called a small 6x into 6 yards. he kept looking for me (hiding behind a tree stump) . he even circled me and never spooked. he knew something wasn't right and walked off eventually. lets just say that made my day and gave me a little boost of confidence for sure.

That's a pretty awesome way to practice and get ready for your hunt! :D

That's awesome. Hopefully he's still ready to fall for it in 5 days. And I mean FALL.

The bulls were doing the same thing last year and the rut didn't start until the 28th of September. I had some bulls start bugling at 3am Saturday morning, so I got up and got within 100 yards by 4am. I sat and cow talked with them until daylight. They were spread out, but all within a 1/2 mle of eachother. As soon as the sun started to rise, all 5 bulls went quiet. Not once did they get aggressive or come towards me. I didn't hear one bugle this morning.

All the water up north has the elk spread out. They can drink at every puddle in the road without even coming close to another bull. Plus it's still pretty warm. I am still wearing shorts in the morning up in Flag. I think somewhere between the 21st and 25th. David

I just got home from 23n. And the bulls were screaming till 10am. I found a few bulls with cows. I was able to get a few to come charging in to my bugle. But mostly i stalked lone bulls but constant bugles all-night till 10am.

I went through unit 7 yesterday and the bulls were starting to chase cows and bugle. I saw one 360 bull with 4 cows, a 320 and a spike running with about 25 cows and a few bugles. Also saw a couple groups of cow elk with no bulls with them. Looks great out there with all the moisture, should make for a great archery hunt!

I talked to my buddy last night and he said with the barley the forest service dropped in some areas of unit 1/27, mild winter and great moisture this year, this year is the year to have a tag!!!

He has done some flying in these units and has seen lots more mature and bigger racked bulls this year.

I am heading out to scout for a few days!!

Jeff

Getting harder and harder to focus at work.

Come on Friday!

+100!

Already the Least productive work week I can remember in a long time...

• Like 1

Elk were screaming in the middle of unit 1 over the weekend. Big bull already had his cows and did not want to pose for pictures. I did manage to get some smaller bull pics

.elkpie013.jpg

elkpie019.jpg

• Like 1