STOMP442

Long Range Dink 1,243 yards

Well I wish I had a nice big buck to write about but this will have to do. After three long days of hunting without even seeing a buck It sure beats tag soup any day. My brother Trent found this buck for me early on the 28th with an excellent pair of 20 power Stiener binoculars. He was feeding up and away from us and we knew we would never have a chance to get any closer to him before he topped out and disappeared. So we made the decision to set up where we were for a long shot. My first shot hit right at his feet and after a quick adjustment I was able to center up and send a 140 grain Hornady Amax home. The morning was perfect with only a whisper of wind at my end I held on the front of his shoulder hoping for it to drift just behind the shoulder for a double lung shot.. Turns out it drifted a touch more than that, the bullet entered at the 2nd to last rib but because of his angle exited 3 or four ribs forward of that clipping both lungs and hitting the liver. The buck humped up took about five steps and fell dead. I still cant believe the shot but the 6.5-284 sure got it done.

Firing-Position.jpg

Deer-Location-2.jpg

Deer-2.jpg

• Like 2

wow, very impressive, and congrats on a successful hunt, a buck is a buck now matter how you look at it and with a shot like that maybe even more impressive!

Holy crap! I'm surprised you saw those antlers!!!! Nice shooting!

• Like 1

Wowser! I'd be lucky to hit a house at that range. That is some amazing shooting right there. Kudos on the shot and your buck.

Wowser! I'd be lucky to hit a house at that range. That is some amazing shooting right there. Kudos on the shot and your buck.

+1

Holy crap! I'm surprised you saw those antlers!!!! Nice shooting!

The 20X Steiners really shine at the longer distances. I don't even take mine out of my frame pack unless I'm glassing past 600 yards because the FOV at that distance is about 35 feet.

Excellent shot by the way.

Yeah that's really impressive shooting. But would you have gone up to find the deer if you had made a bad shot, or weren't sure? What if there was someone between you and the deer? That's really irresponsible and just done to show off. It should be saved for the range/competition. Yup I done pissed you guys off but there it is. One more question - were you sure it was a buck at that range or were you just trying to prove something. Those binocs are awesome but . . .

We were absolutely positive it was a buck. Brother could see horn in the binos and I could see horn in the 24 power scope. We also knew that we were the only people in there as there is only one road in and out and we were the only ones on it. I never set out to prove something on this hunt just wanted to fill a tag in the limited amount of time I had for the hunt.

• Like 1