Sign in to follow this  
112coues

what makes you a coues fanatic

I was talking with a buddy of mine today that is a mule deer fanatic. and the discussion came up what makes me coues deer crazy. he thinks that im stupid that i chase these little deer around all year taking pictures, setting up trail cameras, taking video and whatever else i can do to find that big buck. He really thinks im stupid that i didnt go on my elk hunt this year just to scout for coues deer. when he asked me the question why am i so crazy about these deer i couldnt really come up with a logical answer i just told him "i got bitten by the bug". i thought this would make a good post to see what everyone elses answers were. So..What makes you guys as crazy as i am?

It's not crazy, it's an addiction. Addictions are not rational, but they are real!

+1

It might be that first light waiting for movement in ur binos and get an ear flicker, tail fly up or any kind of movement. Those mornings when u glass the same ridge over and over then look to another only to go back and there is deer all over the ridge ur were first glassing . Or the "i got deer" then the scrambling of trying to understand where ur partner is trying to explain where threw the excitement!!

• Like 1

Hunting Coues deer is NOT for the weak!!!!!!!! They say its the poor mans sheep hunt, Jack O'Connor says they are "the most difficult deer to kill" I have an open invitation for them boys back east to come hunt AZ!! Im sure they would be surprised!!

I took illinois boy last year in 24b. He Got educated real quick on the difference of our whitetails. He is now hooked on COUES. He say's this is real hunting.

• Like 1

This post has a lot of guys thinking. I can truly say that for me it's the excitement of finding, watching and then making a strategic plan of attack to get me in bow range. Getting there, holding off "Buck Fever," long enough to make the shot. I guided a good friend on his first Coues hunt during the first hunt this year. He was a Marine and is currently in the reserves. He told me on our first day, "I would rather go back to Afghanistan, this place bites, it all bites." I laughed and said, "Ya that's why they live here." On the fourth day he got it done on his own as I had to get back to work. He took what I showed him and got done. I believe he now has the BUG.

For me it started when I was 16-17 and drew two really good Dec. tags and didnt ever kill a big buck. Coues deer were the challenge that never came easy. During those hunts I learned to glass, saw all kinds of other wildlife and saw some remote country that I swear no one else had ever looked at. The remote country these deer live in, the solitude of crossing canyon after canyon and climbing ridge after ridge, and the way they seem to appear out of nowhere. Its just different than hunting other animals. I have lived up and down the mountain west and hunted all sorts of stuff, these were the little buggers I could never get off my mind.

It is the physical and mental challenges that Coues WT present that makes us so addicted. They will challenge your will, skills as a hunter, your manhood( or womanhood), and your sanity. Very few animals ask so much, and give so little, lol. I can put my finger on exactly what "it" is, but SOMETHING makes me crave the hunt more than any other animal. Heck, this year I was done in the first 10 mins of my hunt and I almost felt cheated cuz I wanted to hunt more! I guess I felt I didn't hurt enough to earn a buck that soon into the hunt. I had to carry out my cousins buck just to put all my hard work throughout the summer to good use, lol.

Yep, I am crazy for Coues! I must be in the right place!

I love hunting coues but,.... when youn pass up an Elk hunt to scout... you might have a problem.lol

• Like 4

I love hunting coues but,.... when youn pass up an Elk hunt to scout... you might have a problem.lol

+1

If you know you are going to scout for deer and not use your elk tag, then don't apply for the elk tag.

• Like 1