briant_az

Custom build. What caliber would you go with?

I have a question for everyone about a custom built rifle. I just picked up an older model Remington ADL today in 30-06. I bought it in hopes of building a custom rifle with it. I just wanted to know what you guys would choose for caliber and why. I original wanted to build a 6.5x284 but now am thinking maybe something different, like a 6.5-06. Let me hear some opinions!!

I have a 6-284 which is great and a 7mm Dakota but my go to is the 7mm RM even over my 300RUM. My point is that the wildcat rounds are very cool but it grows old paying more for components and finding accurate loads after you have been through it a number of times.

I would do the 6.5/284 or a 7mm WSM for my next gun, and still want a 338 some day. The brass for the 284 is awesome, Lapua is the best there is and lasts for many, many reloads. Norma brass is also better than most as a second choice. I think the 6.5 may be the ideal coues choice even though I don't have that caliber in my lineup right now.

There are so many choices good luck and have fun!

6.5-06 AI is going to be my next build. Last one was a .280AI ... which has great ballistics.

6.5x284 is becoming quite common - all components including fully loaded ammo are pretty much eadily available. That being said, for a long range rig I'd go with a 300 RUM, no question. That's me.

Have you considered leaving it a 30-06? I guess my answer to your question would be what do you consider long range and what critter would the rifle be for? Yes the 6.5 is rapidly becoming the bullet of choice for lots of coues hunters. There are equally awesome 7mm bullets in that size range as well. Caliber choice is not nearly as important as the size of the groups the rifle will print when it's done. Personally if I was going to have one rifle for everything i would stick to a larger 30 Cal, I have never subscribed to the theory that you can have too much bullet, and there are some fantastic high bc bullets coming out.

• Like 1

I have a 6.5-284 and i love it, if i was in your situation i would build the 6.5 on the adl action and ream out the 280 to an 280ai and have the best if both calibers!

I'm in the middle of building a custom 280 AI for a long range rig. I'd recommend it.

Another great one for a custom rig that is extremely accurate and will reach out and touch something is the 6XC. David Tubb knew what he was doing when he developed it. Really reasonable to load for and an all around bad a$$ shooter!

The 6.5-06 and 6.5x284 are essentially the same thing. Their case capacities are almost identical and load data can even be interchanged between the two. That being said and having built and load developed for both I like the 6.5-06 the best. It seems to be slightly more efficient and brass cost is considerably less since all you have to do is neck up or down from either 25-06, 270 or 30-06. Velocities of 2950 plus should be easily attainable with a 140 bullet and will provide much better wind drift and energy numbers at long range over a 30-06 unless a 200 grain bullet is used.

Another great one for a custom rig that is extremely accurate and will reach out and touch something is the 6XC. David Tubb knew what he was doing when he developed it. Really reasonable to load for and an all around bad a$$ shooter!

I watched him shoot Silhouette many years ago and it was unbelievable seeing him center punch each target. He shot pretty close to a perfect score back when Chin Guns were being used.