dtower

Going to Rocky Point

Thought about fishing off the beach this weekend while in Rocky Point MX. what works best? (besides buying at the fish market)

Any tips?

DT

don't waste your time on the beaches the rocks are much more productive. kastmasters, zaras, tubes.

best bait is frozen squid.

I go a few times each year and fish off of the "east beaches" on Playa Morua" I believe. Catch anywhere from 10-60 sea trout (corvina) from the beach per high tide that I fish using live bait (anchovie type minnows) that I catch using a minnow net just off shore. Even when the bait is dead, I catch WAY more fish than with Kastmasters of artificial lures. The squid never came close to the live minnows either where I fish at. It is close to the mouth of an estuary and the rising tides bring in all the fish with it. I will be down there June 21-25 this month, as that is when the greatest tidal changes are, which has always caught me the most fish. I also catch sand bass, pompano, and flouder from the shore too.

i wouldnt go, thats just me.

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."

Jack London

• Like 3

I love Rocky Point. Been a while since I've been there - same deal - wife says it's gotten too dangerous. I used to spear triggers while snorkeling using a Hawaiian Sling, then catch more triggers and other fish around the rocks at the point with a surf rod and frozen squid. Sure is hard to beat camping on the beach, the smell of a good fish fry, a big campfire and the sun setting over the ocean. Good times right there.

• Like 1

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."

I may steal that quote...thanks

Jack London

Jack London

i did my living while i was in the army. now my job is to try and get my daughter ready and secure a future for her.

• Like 3

I go 3-5 times a year, and have never had a problem. I feel safer in Cholla than I do in downtown phoenix. I will say that I can not stand downtown rocky point. The fishing is too good to not go down there. Kastmasters that are 1 oz are fantastic. Reel fast and avoid the rocks, and the trout will be plentiful.

• Like 1