Sign in to follow this  
bowhuntaz1

Trapping catalog uses one of my pictures with out permission

So I'm looking through The Snare Shop 2013-2014 Retail Catalog. I see a picture of my ringtail on page 53. It states " Ringtail/Miners Cat caught in Arizona"

I would think they would ask for permission before posting the pic. Dont you??? I posted the picture in 2 places. This site along with trapping forum. My screen name is the same on both sites...

Here is the picture in the catalog.

post-3620-0-27030900-1371432401_thumb.jpg

and here is the link to prove its my pic. The Ringtrail is at my taxidermist(Dale and Heather).

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/37959-a-few-pics-from-the-trapline/

Whats is your thoughts? To be honest, I'm kinda mad and honored at the same time...

Not looking to gain anything. Just venting.

internet... public domain ...but out of respect they should have asked

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of turning a picture into a huge advertisement like some have done but you can now have a small appreciation as to why they do it. My wife is a photographer and although she hates slapping her name on all of the pics because it can be distracting, she's been taken advantage of too many times when she didnt.

X3 with redman. Cool animal!

"Picture harvesting", is pretty common on the internet these days. I know somebody who had some pictures harvested off of her facebook account, which were then used to setup a fake profile on a questionable dating site.

In your case, it looks like they are trying to save advertising time/money on photo's, by using pics they do not own, or paid for themselves.

I had another taxidermist use pictures from my gallery. he used them in his gallery as if they were his own. one of them was even used in his logo. I talked to him and he said "oh it was my web designer, not me" he didn't remove them. then I talked to a lawyer familiar with internet theft. he said we could sue and would win without a dought, however at what time and cost. the other guy had no money, I just wanted it off his site. the only ones who come ahead are the lawyers.

• Like 1

I ordered hats with my company logo from Cabelas last year. When I got their spring catalog, my logo was in the catalog on some of the hats for sale. I was pretty excited and tried to tell the operator I deserved a moose hunt for the free usage of my logo....the operator was unaware of that promotion......

• Like 1

I'm not a lawyer, but it's my understanding that:

1. Photos are NOT in the public domain simply because they have been posted on the internet.

2. An advertiser who uses photos without the permission of their owners can be successfully sued.

Do you need any of that company's traps?

Bill Quimby

I'm a commercial photographer who deals with © issues. You can send them a cease and desist. You can send them an invoice for the use of the images. You can sue them. However none of it will do any good if they choose to ignore you, which they probably will. Then it becomes very expensive to pursue and the winners are lawyers.

If it were me I'd send them a nice letter asking for a trap as compensation and give them permission to use the image with payment of a trap. That is probably the only thing that won't ruffle feathers.

At our school we teach the students some lessons about Internet safety and etiquette. This program uses a theme that anything you post, anywhere on the Internet, is public and permanent. There is no such thing as deleting an image.

internet... public domain ...but out of respect they should have asked

No, it's copyright infringement. And although you don't need to do it, you can actually do a legal copyright after the fact on material you own.

Since the photo was used in a catalogue, which is expensive to call back/replace, your best bet is to write or call and politely ask for just compensation for the photo use in lieu of a lawsuit.

Well I sure do feel like an a$$... I sent the company an email, and apparently they keep better records than I do. I actually submitted the picture on their Facebook page, months ago, for a chance to be in the catalog. Guess my wife is right about my memory.

I was wrong and am owning up to it. I did apologize to the company.

James

• Like 1