Sign in to follow this  
creed

self inflating sleeping pads

I'm thinking of buying one of these but have concerns about how durable they are. And they are pricey. Any advice before I go out and lay down a bunch of money on one? Are they worth the money?

I have one and found they work great

I use it on a cot when camping

only issue is it is hard to roll up for me

For backpacking kinda.... if u can find one that fits you...for tent or truck or cot no way...

I have been using Thermarest for many years, have a couple different shapes but prefer the big long rectangle. Mine get used around 120 days a year and have stood up well.

If you are serious about backpacking they are a pretty critical piece of gear. I've slept on Thermarests for many years and considering the terrain I've camped in I think they are pretty well made. They also provide legit insulation from the ground and a comfortable place to sleep. Like any other outdoor gear, you pay more for the ones that weigh the least. I just bought a newer one with "waffling" and it's nice as the feature eliminates slipping off the pad, which was/is a common complaint for some of the older rectangular models. This is the model I have now and i like it quite a bit:

http://www.summithut.com/products/prolite-plus/

I also use it to insulate my cot when I car camp in cold weather and I have an older "giant" sized one like this: http://www.summithut.com/products/basecamp-pad/ I bought on Craigslist for truck bed sleeping.

I have used Thermarests for years....seem very durable to me. I have smaller ones for backpacking and larger ones for tent or car camping. One extra bonus of an inflatable pad is that you can use it to float down a river like I did!

I even upgraded to a super luxurious one with a foam pad on it, but that thing is a beast and takes up a lot of room when packing. But it's super nice! It's called the DreamTime XL.

I bought an Ex-ped Synmat 7 a couple years ago. You have to be careful of punctures. I've used it maybe 6 times and had one small puncture I was able to patch. It's really cushy and packs small. I think the Thermorests can handle more abuse, but I need plenty of cushion/comfort, which the inflatables provide.

I've used one for the last couple years. If you're backpacking & sleeping on the ground, you still need a foamy or thermarest pad for insulation & to protect the airpad from punctures. The one I have is a 3/4 legth. Paired with a full length thermarest pad it has greatly increased the quality of sleep I get on the trail, especially as I get older & sleep becomes less comfortable all the way around...

Money well spent imo.

For anyone looking for the truck or base camp, I've got 2 Therm-a-Rest self-inflating pads, stuff sacks included.They're full length > 25 in. x 77 in. (2 in. thick inflated). GREAT shape --- only used them twice. $45.00 each / $75.00 for the pair ...

I have used the Cabela's 2" on top of a cot for years, and have had great luck with them. They are no good for backpack camping, way too big. If you are looking for one for a cot, then Lv2hnt has what is probably your best deal. I think I paid around $100 for mine.

x2 on the Alps Mountaineering stuff. I have one of their lightweight pads and the wife has the thick comfort pad that I steal when car camping and she doesn't cone with, lol. That being said, for backpacking I have a Big Agnes insulated air core pad. It's not self-inflating, but blows up to 3" thick and rolls up to 4"x4"x7" so it's tiny.

any one try the air pad at Costco?

Yes don't get it! I weigh 170 and still feel like I'm sleeping on the ground and the air just pushes out around me. It's better than nothing but wouldn't recommend buying one.