Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Tribute to Missy

Peg and I spent 10 days in Greer a couple weeks ago and knew this would be Missy's last camping trip. She was having seizures and her hips were going out on her while we were there. Our friends Ted, aka jackshoe & his wife Annie had a Missy of their own and also knew her days were numbered as well. On arriving home Ted & Annie had their dog put to sleep and Peg and I had our Missy, a few days later, laid to rest. Everyone whoever owned a dog knows how hard it is to let them go.

Peg and I had made arrangements to take her in on Saturday to Pet Smart and put her to sleep but I woke Friday morning and decided it was something I needed to do myself. I drove to the Salt River, not telling Peg, and dug Missy's resting place and returned home. Peg was now up and I told her my plans and it was the toughest thing I ever seen watching Peg say goodbye and letting her go. As I drove back to the river I wondered if I was going to have the strength to do this. Knowing the suffering our Missy had been going thru convinced me I was doing the right thing. I assured her she no longer would be in any pain and laid her to rest. I have tears as I write this and it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.

It's been a week now and Peg and I paid our respects today with a head marker I made.

Those who knew Missy knew she was a strange dog and always acted like she would bite you if you reached for her head. She got that way after a trip to the vet once and we figured someone mistreated her. She was a good dog and more loyal to Peg than me. We brought her home from a Holloween Party in 2004 as a puppy. She was only 9 yrs old and we will miss her more than you will ever know.

Here are a few pictures.

post-1903-0-09858200-1373858769_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-90249300-1373858865_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-67387200-1373859351_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-60742000-1373859031_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-08693300-1373859598_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-32641800-1373860021_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-02867200-1373859247_thumb.jpg

Rest in peace!

TJ

we all feel your pain i wish dogs stayed around forever. she was a beautiful dog . they really are mans best friend. they give unconditional love. my condulinces

What a beautiful tribute to little Missy! She sure was Peg's shadow most of the time! I know how deeply she will be missed, hang in there guys!

A good dog is a blessing in ones life.

I know you and Peg gave her the best life she could have ever asked for.

She knew that and she will forever be in your hearts.

That's a nice marker you made TJ.

She'll be happy to see you come dove season every year.

I know from past loved and lost, that was the hardest most loving thing you did. Your tribute and marker show how loved she was and will continue to be. Our hearts are with you and Peg. May Gods light shine on you both.

Thank you for sharing your tribute to Missy with us! Wow, what a cute puppy! I only knew her as an older dog and it's great to see her puppy pics! It's one of the hardest things in life to do, but you guys did the right thing. RIP Missy.

Sorry to hear that TJ. You are a good man, and I know how hard that was for you. It's hard to replace a good friend, but we always have those memories of the great times spent with them.

It would be nice if our pets could live as long as we do.

God Bless!

Got a tear in my eye. Had to help my best dog friend "move on" in a similar fashion a couple of years ago. My condolences.

Very sorry to hear about Missy. Thank you for sharing the great pics, she is a beautiful dog! Rest assured you gave her a full and happy life! JIM>

TJ, my heart goes out to you and Peg. I have been a very proud dog owner in the past and had to put both to rest, and it was one of the worst decisions I have ever had to make in life. But in the end, the fact remains that sometimes we hang on too long with our hearts even though we know the time has been right and the quality of life has deteriorated far beyond reasonable. The timing of that decision is so incredibly hard.

Missy will be dearly missed by all who met her, but none more so than you and your wonderful wife! Take solace in knowing that you gave Missy a tremendous opportunity in life, filled with a loving home. And she repaid that with loyalty and love back.

Peg and I would like to thank each of you for all the kind words. They mean a lot to us and has helped with the healing process for sure.

We were blessed to have had Missy for 9yrs and blessed to have made a lifetime of memories. :)

TJ