muledeerarea33?

Regular joe workout

I understand this has been hashed out several times and I've read from the die hard, lean, mean hunters and from the IDGAF hunters who just go out for the experience and have fun (I'm not opposed to either style) what do you other fat, out of shape, drinks to much guys do to prepare? How soon, what do you eat, haha do you not drink? Just curious. I hike my butt off as well as other huntin partners I know on this site do even though we're larger Americans. I don't take or ask for any excuses. Just curious if you folks live your normal life and suffer thru the extra excurtion of a hunt because you love what you have the freedom to do.... Or do you prepare? There ain't no wrong answers.

I'm 62 and tip the scales at 215, (about 50# more than I want.) I try to ride my bike at least ten miles every other day. More as we get closer to opening day. I also climb stairs at work. Starting in Oct. I'll wear my pack with 40# in it. I'll drop 10 or 15 # but I'll climb the hills a lot easier. I just hate to diet so that makes it hard to drop the weight I need. Bottom line ... anything you do will help, but it probably won't be enough when you're 3/4 up the hill you need to on top of.

• Like 1

Depends on what youre trying to do but its a whole lot simpler than people make it out to be. If you're trying to drop some pounds and get in shape before your hunt you need to be consuming less calories than you burn each day.. That could mean running miles a day because you REALLY like to eat or hiking with some weight on your back because you dont have a problem eating a little less. The easiest way to do it is count the amount of calories you eat a day, theres plenty of websites/phone apps that make it VERY easy to track.

So you really wouldnt need to change your diet at all, it would just mean burning more calories at the gym/track etc. and you dont need to be eating something like a salad every meal to lose weight like most people think.

I can go more in depth if you'd like but what it all boils down to is

Calories IN vs. Calories OUT

i ride bikes quite a bit. it's easy on the joints, good for cardio and leg strength. i lift weights a bit, but don't get crazy with it.

Been walking 2-3 miles 4-5 times a week in the woods. Scouting for my elk hunt and burning a few calories. Lost 10 lbs in the last couple of months.like the idea of loading a pack, will do that when I get back from Alaska. At the airport now, fishing tomorrow.

Once the weather cools down I'll hike the trail to the Wind Cave in Usery Park a few times a week. I'm 60 and pretty much been able to eat whatever I want all my life and not gain much weight and am about 180 now which at 5'11 is the upper limit of where I like to be.

I never seem to be able to find the time to workout so I watch what I eat. I do things like eat a 6" turkey sandwich with just spinach, cucumber, tomato, bell pepper and a sprinkle of oregano with no dressings a couple of times a week and eat a light dinner six days a week of a grilled chicken breast with some sliced tomatoes with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and once or twice a week when I get that craving for carbs I'll have some beans or wheat pasta.

I stay away from things like French Fries, chips, donuts, ice cream, soft drinks etc. If you like that stuff it's ok just pick one and only have it once a month.

I've been hitting moderate weights 2-3 times a week for the last 6 years on a pretty regular schedule. I had plantar fasciitis and had to back out of the cardio for a couple of years but got that straightened out, kind of. I have thrown stationary bike and a treadmill in to get the cardio going. My workout schedule keeps me busy 5-6 days a week except during hunting season.

You younger guys better enjoy how easy it is to get and stay hunting fit. It is a bitch getting old :(

• Like 1

i started hitting the gym last october and have lost 45 lbs . i do the eliptickal for 45 mins a day and lift it gets descouraging because you don't much fast but its more about getting in shape and i do feel great

Before each hunt, I just pray, that I don't have a heart attack while climbing up the side of a steep ridge. My Dad went out that way at the age of 67.....and it runs in the family.

I need to get off my duff. and get healthy. Part of that requires good health insurance, and some surgery. Spinal.....and most likely some stents.

I am convinced burpees are the single best exercise on the planet. I started out doing 5 every minute until I could get to an hour. Now I just go to a max of 30 minutes, but add one burpee per minute each time I hit half an hour. Right now I am at 9 burpees per minute for 16 minutes. I am having a competition with my brother, which keeps me going. The other day he did 18 sets of 9 which is going to suck to beat. After you have done burpees until you are about to pass out, nothing else seems hard in comparison. It is unbelievable how much harder it is when you add one more burpee per minute. Hopefully this self torture will pay dividends when I am hunting elk at 11000 feet this October.

• Like 2

burpee? :blink: :huh:

TJ

burpee