Sign in to follow this  
CEI

Is a .243 Winchester an Ethical Elk Gun???

Sneek Freak, aka Jed Larson, uploaded this video this morning.

I want to hear your thoughts & experiences on shooting elk with a .243 Winchester.

My opinion, the kid was extremely comfortable with the gun and made a great shot.  I will take a light caliber, with a well placed shot, over a big caliber, with a poor placed shot.

The .243 Winchester is a good all around gun for youth hunters.  Obviously, shots must be kept to closer ranges and be well executed.  A .243 Winchester is not a gun you would recommend for high shoulder shots, so behind the shoulder is a must.  This is where practice and patience are critical!!!

Great job Davey!!!  

View the full article

A gun can't be unethical, only the shooter can. A .243 in the hands of someone who knows the gun's limits, and who practices regularly and is competent, is a good gun.

• Like 6

My family has taken several Elk with a 243 without any problems.

• Like 1

what they said

Maybe we should be arguing whether or not its ethical to dress kids in elk colored jackets during a rifle hunt. . .cause obviously the kid made a very ethical one shot kill with the .243. Of course I am just kidding, I have no idea what the circumstances were, they could have been on private land, or the only tag holders, etc.

Good work Davey! I think I know his sister (Kerry).

It was just a joke, relax already people ;)

• Like 1

My kids have shot 6 big game animals with a youth model 243. 2 of which were elk and one shot dropped them including one 3rd eyeballed by my daughter at 100Yds! I think its an awesome tack driver if set up properly!

+1 to everything CEI said. That being said, my preference would be a projectile that is capable of punching through no matter the placement.

I was talking to an Indian from Alaska and he said he has shot alot moose. I asked him what caliber gun he used and he said ".22"

shoot em in the head.

/>I will take a light caliber, with a well placed shot, over a big caliber, with a poor placed shot.

Who wouldn't? This is a fairly silly statement. The problem is, just because it's a lighter caliber, doesn't mean it will be a better shot. Everyone has made a poor shot in their lives. A poor shot on an elk with an 80 grain bullet could mean disaster, where a larger bullet might not have. There's a lot of variable here and it's something that could be (and has been, on here) argued forever. I just think an 80 grain bullet is just asking for trouble with elk.
  • Like 2

It's all about shot placement. That cow didn't make it 20 yards! Here's another example of knowing what a .243 can do:

Of course a .243 'can' do it when everything, or almost everything goes right. The problem with using minimal calibers/cartridges/bullets is the margin for error is slim and none, and shot distance, angles and placement have to be spot on. (which they did a very good job of making sure all of those were just right in the video, but some people are not as picky on all those.)

Like Coues Sniper said, everyone would take a well placed shot with .xxx cartridge over a poorly placed shot with .xxx cartridge. Its like the Capital 1 commercials with Jimmy Fallon and the baby... 99.999% of people want more money... Duuuhhhhhh.

• Like 1

While preparing for my elk hunt last year, my scope came loose on my primary rifle. I didn't have time to get everything fixed and get back to the range. I picked up the trusty .243, a gun that I have ultimate confidence in, and carried it on the hunt. I did not get a shot at an animal, but I was sure that I was setting myself up to be successful because I planned for the shot with that gun.

our kids are 5 for 5 with no wounded animals on elk, if the the right kind of shot isn't there we don't take it,

as for adults in our family between elk ,deer,antelope and pigs we have teken close to 25 without losing an animal.

Seldom Drawn

I'm no gun expert, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night! I'm gonna use my late uncles rem 600 in .243 until I kill a big game creature. The wife didn't get it done with her cow elk tag, I didn't get it done with my mulie tag but this year I'm hopin a coues goes down. If so, I'll be back to my pops '06 for the rest of them