Sign in to follow this  
huntlines

My daughters last day buck

My daughter had a juniors tag back in October. With little time to scout I knew we would have a tough hunt and I was correct. I was very proud of my daughter for passing up a few small bucks. She was very patient and didn't get depressed when we were not able to find her something to shoot. Because of this I decided to sign over my December whitetail tag to her. Not to mention I am very unhappy with the hunt structure and amount of tags given for the supposed "trophy" hunt. I remember not to long ago there was a two week break between hunts and only fifty tags, now the hunts last from October right up until the late hunt which has 150 tags but I digress.

The scouting had not found a lot and I was getting worried. My daughter would be on cloud nine if I could just find her a decent three point. She has only taken one other deer with a rifle and it was a small forked horn. We hunted hard and were finding very few deer let a lone bucks. The bucks we were seeing were spikes and small two points. I kept telling her "when the rut kicks in we should be able to find better bucks." However when we finally started seeing rut activity it was again spikes and small two points doing the chasing.

On my last day to take her out we hunted all day. Early morning was promising with a few small bucks chasing does. As the day went on and activity slowed I was really wondering if we would ever find a decent buck. About 3pm my daughter started to dose off. I was thinking of doing the same when I found a doe being pushed by a spike. Figures. I was just about to close my eyes when I caught movement, a bigger bodied deer moving through the brush heading toward the doe and spike. When he cleared and I saw rack, I about knocked my daughter out shaking her awake. She was able to get her senses just in time for the buck to come into an opening and she made a great shot. It was over in a mater of seconds. I jumped up and gave her the biggest bear hug as she screamed with excitement. The smile in the pictures says it all!

The buck was better than we both could believe. I took him to get measured for a local big buck contest and he scored 104 2/8ths.

post-5532-0-85548800-1388340386_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Super buck on a grueling hunt.

That was great of you to sign over your tag, I think you have a hunting partner for life!

Awesome Buck! Way to go Girl! Awesome Dad for signing over the tag! I'll bet that smile made it all worthwhile!

Congratulations to your daughter on a buck of a lifetime in my eyes. You signing over your dec tag saids alot for your character and thanks for sharing this hunt with us. You're right, nothing more needs to be said after looking at that beautiful smile and an awesome buck.

TJ

Super picture of a great buck! Congratulations to your daughter on a beautiful buck! Time spent in the hills with your kids are the best as you well know.