Sign in to follow this  
bo5953

Second Post.....2014 Archery Javelina

2014 37B Archery

A group of us drew 37B Rifle Tags so I decided to buy a left over archery tag too. That way I could do some deer hunting/pig hunting and scouting all in one. I went to a new area I had found on Google Earth that looked good. I think Google Earth has got to be one of the best inventions ever! Glassed up a herd of pigs at the top of the highest ridge in the area about 1 mile out and three ridges over. With nothing else to do for the day we decided to start hiking. We got to the top of the last ridge and relocated the herd at the bottom of a drainage about half way up what we just climbed. Go figure! We decided to move forward just on the backside of the main ridge line so as not to get skylined and drop down in on them. Before we could get to the crossover point, a pig comes running over the top right at me. He stops at 5yds, does a 180 and then stops again at 10yds broadside. I quickly knocked an arrow and let him have it. When the arrow connected he let out a big squeal. Two other pigs came running over and started beating the living cr@# out of him. All within 10yds of where I am standing. For about half a minute they are snapping, growling, biting and rolling in and out of a cholla. Once they let him go I put one more arrow in him to end it. I am always for getting the job done quickly. My buddy ended up getting a couple shots too but I think the mass chaos of what was happening made him loose his concentration. Needless to say...no pigs were hurt (by him) in the making of this story.

When I walked up on this pig I instantly thought..."I think I just won the Ugly Pig of the Year Contest!" It's ok because ugly still eats. He is being made into chorizo at Von Hanson's.

post-10848-0-91839500-1390512557_thumb.jpg

post-10848-0-13982400-1390512585_thumb.jpg

post-10848-0-48691400-1390512628_thumb.jpg

post-10848-0-06776000-1390512631.jpg

post-10848-0-71799000-1390512711_thumb.jpg

You did every javelina (and us) a favor taking that ugly pig out of the gene pool! Congrats on your success.

I thought you were joking about ugly, until I saw the pictures! Holy cow!!!

Welcome to the site and congratulations on a rare pig. Talk about a conversation piece. Thanks for sharing.

TJ

Thanks guys. I thought about talking the wife into letting me make a lamp out of the legs and hooves on this guy but I don't think it would go well with her decor. :mellow:

Only time I've seen hooves like that is when the pigs live by a river. Must be a boar? Pretty neet to shot one like that. Only good time to mount a javelina is when they have something weird going on like that. Nice shooting!

Goodness!!!! Congrats on your pig!! Must be tumors or some other ailment! Need a good biologist to clue us in!!