MULEPACKHUNTER

Hearing Protection

I visited an audiologist once to see if there was anything I could do, short of hearing aids. He told me that hearing loss is not reversible. I have what he called "classic industrial hearing loss". It is worse in my right ear than the left. He said this is the norm because most people are right handed so that ear gets more exposure when shooting or operating equipment. On the drive home, discussing my options with my wife, I realized that the doctor was wrong. The reason why most guys have worse hearing in the right ear is because they usually drive with the wife in the passenger seat!

• Like 11

If you shoot with a brake, you need to be using ear protection in the field or you will damage your hearing. Been there done that.

If you shoot with a brake, you need to be using ear protection in the field or you will damage your hearing. Been there done that.

I try not to hunt with people who need a brake, also won't shoot next to a guy who uses one at the range. But haven't been to a public range in awhile.

If never understood how come people shoot animals with out hearing protection.

I am only 29 and I FAILED the hearing test to get into my job. (I was 22 at the time!) Luckily, I passed it the second time.

I have not shot an animal other than a coyote or two with out hearing protection in at least my left ear since 2009. I use a set of plugs on a string, or better yet, the hard ones that have plugs on each end. Those work GREAT. As soon as a deer that one wants to tag, put them around your neck, then put one or both in right before the shot. No problem at all.

I work in a machine shop so my hearing is bad on low sounds plus the 4 15in Subs in my diesel don't help either. Hearing is still OK everywhere I need it. I too plan on using plugs during every shot.

I bought a pair of the orange banded ones stay around your neck. They work pretty good, but I've got to get better about putting them in before I shoot.

I have permanent ringing in my ears so carry them in my pocket and use them when I have the opportunity to setup before a shot but that's not always possible.

And hearing loss is not reversible.

All this reminds me of a good friend of mine. He and his friend were helping a guy on an archery hunt. His buddy was videoing the hole thing. In the video you can clearly see my friend, the hunter, and the animal. The hunter draws back his bow, my friend inserts both index fingers into both ears, and the hunter shoots!!!! It is freakin hilarious!!!!

Ear protection is a must, even while ARCHERY hunting !!! Hahahaha

• Like 4

I grew up with a dad who told me if I had a cut to rub some dirt on it, do you think I had ear protection? lol. I now use it when bird hunting but never when big game hunting.

• Like 1

My daughters and I always carry our molded ear plugs when hunting with rifles. Might not have time to put them in, but if the opportunity presents itself to get prepped, they go in. I am 60% deaf in my right ear from a near miss hunting accident, and I don't want my kids to have hearing loss because of firearms. They also know the story about how EVERYONE needs to be aware of other hunters at ALL times. I almost lost my life as a kid due to a new hunter, lack of situational awareness, and a shotgun.

I visited an audiologist once to see if there was anything I could do, short of hearing aids. He told me that hearing loss is not reversible. I have what he called "classic industrial hearing loss". It is worse in my right ear than the left. He said this is the norm because most people are right handed so that ear gets more exposure when shooting or operating equipment. On the drive home, discussing my options with my wife, I realized that the doctor was wrong. The reason why most guys have worse hearing in the right ear is because they usually drive with the wife in the passenger seat!

I think your Dr. was incorrect... When ever I shoot my left ear gets the brunt of it as it is closer to the muzzle... Thats the one that has the highest of selective hearing when the wife is talking.... uhh I mean has the most hearing loss.

I too have hearing loss from years of shooting. A few years back I had a physical sat the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. They decided that I was in good shape, but noticed that I was missing parts of conversations. So I ended up in their hearing clinic. At the end of the test, the Doctor said that I had significant hearing loss, but congratulated me on my comprehension. He said hearing aids would not really help me. Then he stood directly in front of me and asked, "Does your wife mumble?". My first thought was, how does this guy know my wife? I finally responded yes. He told me there was help and gave me a book entitled Living With a Hearing Impaired Person. It had helpful advise like stand directly in front of the impaired person when you speak and make sure you let the person see your lips move.

The book really didn't help. My wife still tries to carry on a conversation from 3 rooms away and tells me of conversations that we have had that I have no recall of! My only response is Honey please read the book again.

Remember, if you have trouble hearing others, it may not be your fault. They may just need to read the book!

• Like 3

I have never used any or ever known anyone that uses hearing protection while hunting. Might make communication a little hard between a shooter and spotter.

X1 Sighting in Yes hunting no

Cheap ear plugs with the handgun or while spotting for someone. Also fingers in the ear while spotting for someone. I don't use them while rifle hunting, but probably should. Not worth damaging your hearing for any reason.

I shoot braked rifles so I make sure to have them around my neck at all times during a rifle hunt. I have not put them in before and don't want to experience that again. I have lost over 60% of hearing in my left ear from work and shooting my entire life. It's not worth it to me anymore to not use hearing protection. I also have made it a point since my daughter has started hunting for her to use them even though her rifle doesn't currently have a brake, besides I try to lead by example when possible.

• Like 1