MULEPACKHUNTER

Hearing Protection

Curious on how everyone handles ear protection on rifle hunts. I have some orange cheap plugs on strings I keep handy when I am carrying a rifle. I was on a few Cow Elk hunts recently helping out and I asked this question around the campfire and everyone looked at me like I was crazy, "Duh your going to be so Jacked at shooting big game you wont even notice the gun going off". Ok makes sense but my eardrum will know for sure. I plan on using mine when possible, I doubt I would pass on a shot if I didnt have time to grab them and maybe I will completely forget about them but thats the plan anyway. I also make the kids carry them around their neck.

As a shooter, I enjoy the crack and I don't worry about plugs as I'm only taking one shot!

As a spotter, I like the cheaper plugs on strings that you mentioned. Helps me to keep focused through glass on the critter(s) at hand but doesn't bother me if I lose track of them.

For kids, I keep a few varieties on hand and let them choose what they are most comfortable with, whatever it takes to get them to wear them and keep them in their ears. The string type also helps keep them from getting lost but they definitely aren't the most protective.

I'm interested in hearing of how many people take hearing protection on a rifle hunt, good topic.

I don't hunt deer the same way as quail, so I always have time to add ear protection before the shot. It's usually the same way with elk. I just keep the loose foam ones in my pocket on most hunts, but I have kids keep the kind with the hard plastic band and foam ends around their necks after we make a spot. If a shot has to be rushed, the kid shouldn't be taking it anyway.

Last season I took an elk with an off-hand 150-yard shot in the timber. I wasn't expecting to run into him. That was the first big game animal I have ever taken without the use of hearing protection.

I won't take a gun with a muzzle brake on a hunt just on the off chance I don't have time to protect my ears before the shot. An occasional shot with a non-brake muzzle doesn't worry me much, but I don't want to risk my ears by taking an unprotected shot with a brake.

Sound Gear!

Extremely small and made just like a hearing aide by the best hearing aide company in the industry. Of course they are also very expensive.

I also carry the cheap foam ones as back up or for others that may be with me. Jacking up your hearing is a bad idea. I have already fired off to many shots with a muzzle break and don't need to do it anymore.

I bought a new .300WM with a muzzle break on it this year. It is by far the loudest thing I have ever shot! Needless to say I will be carrying the same cheap plugs on a string around my neck this year. I just hope I don't forget I got 'em in the heat of the moment.

My hunting buddy bought a pair of expensive banded ear plugs last trip. He dropped them and insisted we backtrack all the way to the truck to find them. He showed up 30 minutes later than me empty handed.

I carry the ones on the string that I grab from work, but am not too good about using them. Then again I've only shot once in the last 4 years and I think my heartbeat was louder than my gun. (avatar pic)

I have never used any or ever known anyone that uses hearing protection while hunting. Might make communication a little hard between a shooter and spotter.

I have never used any or ever known anyone that uses hearing protection while hunting. Might make communication a little hard between a shooter and spotter.

Never been a problem for us. You can still hear someone speaking right next to you, even with earplugs in.

Never used them for a kill shot but use the always while practicing or spotting. I shot lots of rounds while younger and my hearing has suffered because of it, cig butts are not ear plugs!!! I use muffs now. At work, shooting, chainsaw, etc. gotta protect what I have left but, the kill shot is still open eared.

I use electronic ear muffs for my kids so we can still communicate...also works well for long range shots and listening to a spotter

While shooting as a kid we did not use anything for hunting or practice. As a young adult I began using ear plugs whenever practicing, but not hunting. Now I try to use them whenever I shoot, but sadly it's a bit too late. I struggle to hear so many things and miss parts of conversations. If I could turn the clock back, I would do it different.

• Like 5