Sign in to follow this  
3Coues3

Got My "First" Bear

Well I got my First bear on my first day of my first bear hunt, with my first shot! There seems to be a trend there...

The morning started off with a mile walk up a ridge line to the base of a hill we have been seeing bears on a regular basis. It started off slow not seeing any bears for the first hour of light. My cousin and I kept at I and soon I had a small bear glassed up in a drainage to our south. Within minutes of spotting the first bear he had spotted the bear I un knowingly was going to shoot. After looking at it from about a mile away we decided it was worth a closer look. We cut the distance in half and sat down to get a better look at the bear. My cousin say to me he is headed farther into the canyon, but the bear I am looking at is still feeding in the same area we had seen him in earlier. We finally realize we are looking at two different bears. One is a nice solid black bear and the other is black with cinnamon highlights. I wanted to shoot a solid black bear, so my attention shifted towards it as it walked further and further away up the canyon and out of site. I then shifted my attention back to the cinnamon bear, we looked him over and I decided he was a shooter in my book. He looked to have a good head on him and the way the light was hitting the cinnamon highlights I decided he was great looking bear and he was going to be mine. We closed the distance to about 340 yards. I set up on him and my cousin said when ever your ready I am ready. I let one rip down range!! Once I got back in the scope all I saw was the bear dart out of view. I turned to my cousin and said did I hit him, he replied the shot surprised me and I missed it. Luckily one of my good friends and father were both watching from about 2 miles out. They had seen the whole thing and radioed to us that the bear had piled up about 50 yards or so from where he had been shot. We worked are way over to the bear, not realizing how steep and nasty the canyon was until we got into it. After a few pictures, the work began. One of the nastiest pack outs I have ever been a part of but worth it!

post-6196-0-32176500-1408472561.jpg

post-6196-0-79377000-1408472573.jpg

post-6196-0-07930100-1408472586.jpg

• Like 11

great story and awesome bear. That coloring is great! congrats to you and everyone involved!!

Wow that is a good looking bear, and I think I would of shot it as well instead of the solid black one!!!

Good shootin and getting it done!

Great color phase bear! Congratulations to all. Let's see some mount pictures too please.

Congrats! Thanks for sharing the story and pics.

That is one awesome looking bear! Congrats!

Yep, great looking coat on that bear!

Nice job!