bowhuntaz1

Arrowed my first black bear!!!!!!

It has been a roller coaster of a archery season. I was 3 months into my new job, and was not able to hunt opening weekend.

I put my tree stand up 5 days before the hunt, and pad locked it to the tree, and camouflaged it in. When I got there Saturday August 23rd at about 5:30 pm to hunt, I noticed the camouflage was gone, and the foot rest and seat were down.... I start looking around, and can smell slightly spoiled raw meat. I start looking around and find pieces of deer entrails and hide hanging from low hanging tree branches all around my stand... to say I was mad is an understatement. Wait it gets worse. I do my best to find all of the scraps, and make a pile about 100 yards from my stand. As I am climbing up to my tree stand, I notice a napkin, zip tied to one of the steps. After I secure myself to the tree I read it and want to scream... The note says, "Thanks bro for the use of the tree stand. I got a righteous buck from it. Left you some gifts."

post-3620-0-43528100-1409623596_thumb.jpg
I figure Mr. A hole does not want me shooting a deer from my stand, so he spread the gut pile all over to scare off the other deer... Wait it gets worse....
I still sit the stand that night. The seat is uncomfortable, I figured it was my wallet.
Next morning, I put my wallet in my pack before climbing to the top of the stand. As I sit down I can feel something under the seat. I lift up the pad to find a deer penis between the tree stand seat and the seat pad...... Very F##$*ing funny.....
I toss it and still sit in the stand. Low and behold about a half hour later, this 300 lbs black bear come in and starts eating the gut pile until its gone... Then he comes over under my stand and for the 10 minutes, finds the entrails that I missed around my stand. Guess who did not buy a bear tag this year.......10 FLIPPING minutes at 30 yards or less... FML........
I have never had a person on camera at this spot for the 3 years I have been putting out a camera here. I have a video of a guy Opening evening looking at the climbing sticks to my tree stand. then 10 minutes later there is a fork horn. Then no other videos until I get there and remove a large piece of tree bark that was placed over my camera.

Sunday after noon, I take my stand down and make a run to the northern part of the unit, where I made a salt lick 5 years ago and keep and eye on. 2 game trails coming to it. I set my stand where the 2 trails merge into one, and leave for home.

I get back up there Friday August 29th about 4pm After picking up a bear tag at Wal-Mart. Sit in the stand and watch a doe and fawn for about 10 minutes. Guess who left his phone and camera in camp... Nothing else that night.

Saturday august 30th. 13 hours in the stand and 3 does...

Sunday 5am, I find myself secured in my stand, and wait. About an hour and 20 minutes, I hear foot steps in the leaves. I am 99% sure its a buck coming by. I am ready to draw back when I see 4 black legs coming down the trail... Bear!!!!! I see that its not huge but; its alone and big enough... It walks behind a bush and I come to full draw. She comes into the opening and glances up at me, then starts to turn her head. She quickly looks back at me. My pin is settled in the forward crease of her shoulder. I let the arrow fly. She jumps up biting at her shoulder turning and biting at her shoulder where the arrow penetrated. As she is still in the air spinning, I can see my broad head and about 3 inches of arrow sticking out of her rib cage!!!!!! She bounces off the tree and exits stage right. Did I mention, I got the shot on trail camera video?!?!?!?! It happens very quickly. I am shaking so bad I cant control it. It took about 20 minutes before I could even lower my bow to the ground. She went about 60 yards down hill and piled up. I was using Dirt Nap Gear broad heads. I'm pretty sure it went through the shoulder blade. Will find out tomorrow and post that picture then. I threw every stick, and pine cone I could find at her to make sure she was down. I snapped a few pics and selfies, and thought, Crap... Its about a quarter mile to the trail, then a half mile to my truck.

I can hear in the distance a quad, and take off running. I was able to flag down a very nice gentleman named Jesus. He snapped a few photos for me, and we tied her feet together, and used a limp to take her to the trail,and he even drove me and the bear to the truck!. He is due back Wednesday but; his wife already has a gift certificate for dinner for them from me.

Anyway. The bear is a female, and I'm going to guess about 4 years old. She was dry. I already reported it to the bear hotline, and will be checking her in in the next few days. I have been wanting a bear with my bow for 12 years and finally did it!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have a pedestal mount done with Dale and Heather at Wild Heritage Taxidermy

post-3620-0-44955200-1409623489.jpg

post-3620-0-26018800-1409624065_thumb.jpg

post-3620-0-18864500-1409624105_thumb.jpg

post-3620-0-49018400-1409624085_thumb.jpg

post-3620-0-92413700-1409623513_thumb.jpg

post-3620-0-90173000-1409623531_thumb.jpg

post-3620-0-46488700-1409623560_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Yes!! Very nice! Congrats man! Are you gonna head back up for deer? I am in utter disbelief about what that guy did to your stand.

At least you got a nice bear out of the hunt.

The person who did that to your tree stand is a warped individual. It's a real shame that people like that are out there hunting.

• Like 5

Great job getting a nice bear and making the best of it. It's unfortunate there are done really assholes out there that call themselves hunters. I hate the attitude many guys have, sure makes the rest of us look bad.

• Like 1

Congrats again James and great write up! That is a awesome video of the kill shot !!! I hope that pecker head gets his clocked cleaned that did that to your stand.

• Like 1