Who is gonna be in the field next Friday trying to put the smack down on some quail? How many of you use a dog and how many don't? Always curious how the non hunting dog owners do I have never shot more than 8 quail, and I hunt dogless. Let's see some pics to get everyone pumped up!

Here is a morning I had last year, not a lot but a lot of ground covered and a lot of fun!

post-11647-0-49308000-1411521287_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I hunt them all the time, almost always without a dog. This will be my first year really trying to hunt with a dog. Usually get 5-10 per outing. except for this one year..hahaha

About 3 or 4 years ago I found a secret location of quail and I swear they had never seen humans. There were probably 100-200 of them in a valley. I had to kick them out of a bush to get them to fly...then they would only fly about 10 yds and sit there looking at me. I couldnt even bring myself to shoot them. I finally made a few fly far enough to get some shots. I kid you not when I say that I literally was able to pick one up off the ground as they were not afraid of me at all.

• Like 1

Looking forward to it! Although, we usually wait a week or two as it's still a bit too hot.

Sure wish they'd move the season forward a bit. Start later in October and end later in Feburary. As it stands now, the season ends right at the best time in the desert with the cool afternoon temps!

• Like 1

Average-joe if you want me to help you out to get these quail scared of hunters I can do that for free. No charge. I always hunt without dogs. My best hunt was 7 birds in a half day. It was a great spot, little hunting traffic in 37b about 6 years ago. Every year that area and the surrounding areas was less and less. Last year I only had 1 quail jump up and that was at my friends feet 60 yards away. Went back to some old areas and it was dead too. Hopefully 37b will pick up in the future.

I'll definitely be heading out hunting! Opening weekend of quail season is a 35 year tradition for a couple of old high school friends and I! :D

As for success rates; We hunt without dogs and usually do quite well in our old honey holes. In the old days it was a race to see who could shoot a 15 bird limit first (my personal best was 15 birds by around 8:15AM on opening day.....). As time has marched-on though, the ridges surrounding the washes we hunt seem steeper & steeper and the urge to 'limit out' has been replaced by the satisfaction of another weekend in the desert with my oldest friends. I remember my father laughing and shaking his head at us as we peeled up the ridges after the birds while he chilled down in the wash. Now I know what he was thinking.... ;)

Of course, I also love getting out with my kids too! :)

Have fun and be safe all!!!

S.

:)

Edit: PS: Had a wonderful Vizsla for a few years (she got sick and died young). Opening weekend in the cholla patches was reserved for running and gunning without dogs. When the weather cooled a bit later in the season I would take Ruby along and hit the high desert (no cholla)! ;)

December2009BirdHunting009.jpg

• Like 4

I think it will be a good quail year with the way I've watched them reproduce around my place this year.

I have a bird dog who is semi-retired. I prefer quail hunting without a dog though.

I too like to wait until it is a little cooler though :)

Last year I was surprised on my Coues hunt in middle to south 6a when quail starting calling all around me. I didn't realize they were up that high.

I think it will be a good quail year with the way I've watched them reproduce around my place this year.

I have a bird dog who is semi-retired. I prefer quail hunting without a dog though.

I too like to wait until it is a little cooler though :)

Last year I was surprised on my Coues hunt in middle to south 6a when quail starting calling all around me. I didn't realize they were up that high.

One of my old favorite quail spots is off of beaver creek rd behind montezumas well. Great quail spots all the way up to apache maid even.

• Like 2

I'll be out there. Quail is one of my favorite seasons. I always hunt without dogs. I've taken limits a few times. Taken many chuckar limits in CA with no dogs. That's a workout!

I really enjoy later in the season when it's cooler and you can hike all day.

Never hunted over a dog but I try to get out every year. They are fun to hunt except when they sit tight and won't flush. I doubt I'll be out opening day but I will go out on Saturday.

I don't have any special spots and usually try to hunt near water. Best I ever did was hunting Scalies near Sunazona back in the early 80's. I got a limit early and I think I only missed one bird after I figured them out.

Tried to sneak thru some hills in 42 for some predator hunting yesterday. But thanks to changing winds and a lot of pesky a$$ quail, didn't have a chance to see anything else. Those birds got some payback coming.

Have never hunted over dogs but that's about to change.

Ever since all the citiots moved up here during the housing boom and tried to fit in all I ever find anymore is shotgun shells. Might have to go out this year since you guys/gals got me thinking about quail in the pan!!