HuntHarder

What is your Go-To round for Elk?

.270 and .308 have put a lot of elk in our freezer. They are both loaded up and headed out again tomorrow for a unit 27 bull hunt in the hands of my wife and daughter.

I'll be taking a .300WSM shooting 165gr Nosler Accubond's over 62.5gr of IMR4350 in less than two weeks. I and other family members have also killed elk with a .308 and 150gr Barnes TSX handloads too.

Almost exactly what I shoot, but mine likes 63 grains even of IMR4350, WLRM primers.

A remote control. I don't draw elk tags, so all my elk hunting happens one DVR.

• Like 4

Bow and arrow..:) I will never go Elk hunting again with a gun UNLESS its for an early hunt. :)

• Like 1

If I was hunting today I would have my tikka .270 140 grain accurbond, W760 (52 grain) 3,010 fps with a inch grouping at 200 yards. But I haven't harvest an elk yet, but my plans is to get a 300 win mag LR set up. I don't want to hack this thread but I've seen a lot of guys post the 300 WSM. What does that have that the 300 win mag doesn't?

I have 2 go to elk rifles. My long range rifle is a custom Remington 700 in 300 win mag with a 5.5-22 nightforce scope. It shoots those good 200 grain accubonds in front of 73 grains of rl 22 at 2975 fps. It has accounted for 3 bulls from 435 yards to 650 yards with my last 3 bull tags. The sad thing is that it has been silent for almost 2 years.

My other rifle is a standard out of the box Remington 700 in 7mm RM with a 3-9 leupold scope. It shoots those good 140 grain accubonds in front of 69 grains of rl 22 at 3100 fps. It is a much lighter rifle and is nice to carry when tracking elk in the snow where shots are 300 yards or less. It has been silent for 10 days.

I don't want to hack this thread but I've seen a lot of guys post the 300 WSM. What does that have that the 300 win mag doesn't?

Less powder, less recoil and less bolt throw. That said the WM has a slight performance advantage over the WSM if built on a long action but not much and has a large performance advantage over the WSM if the WSM is built on a short action.

They're both great and it's hard to go wrong with either.

M

• Like 1

180 grain Barnes TTSX from a .300 RUM ... if I had to just pick one.

If I was hunting today I would have my tikka .270 140 grain accurbond, W760 (52 grain) 3,010 fps with a inch grouping at 200 yards.

I shoot 140 gr AB's with 53 grains of W760 in my Tikka T3 and it's sub-moa , but my rifle chrono'd at 2,985 fps. I use the set up for Coues but wouldn't hesitate to take that rifle elk hunting either.

I will be carrying this on my next elk hunt. I'm about 70% complete with the build.

Savage action w/ oversized bolt handle

McGowen 26" stainless barrel

XLR Evolution Chassis

EGW 10 MOA picatinny rail

I have purchased the Redding dies and some Hornady brass. Will most likely shoot either a 180 grain SST or Accubond

Still need to get a magazine, scope and rings and I am sending it off for cerakote next week. Black action/barrel with burnt bronze chassis and buttstock metal.

post-331-0-89608800-1417115095_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-57691000-1417115138_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-60611400-1417115310_thumb.jpg