Sign in to follow this  
bwp22

Whats up with Unit 9?

Anyone have any ideas or guesses why the muzzleloader hunt is before the archery hunt in unit 9? It seems to be the only unit structured this way.

Wow, doesn't that go against all hunt recommendations and guidelines as far as established seasons of hunts and getting public input etc?

BINGO!

That's the very point that Director Voyles and Steve Clark raised at the meeting. Neither the Department nor the AES was happy. One commissioner in particular just doesn't give a rat's arse. The new commissioner, however, voted against all of the changes in protest. Personally, I think they were walking a very fine line legally speaking. The assistant AG that was present probably should have let them know that they were in danger of violating the open meetings laws.

The Guidelines process is opening up again. Make yourself heard. Where possible, let the commissioners know that you expect them to respect the public process that has worked so well for many years.

• Like 1

I think that will just put the archery hunt in better part of the rut any ways. Seems all the archery hunts have been moved up over the years to the point seems the ruts not going or just barely srarring At least that's what I see in 6b over the years

• Like 1

I figured either a commisioner has alot of points or a good buddy. Someone either wants first crack at the bulls muzzleloader or wanted archery later for the rut.

• Like 3

Wow, doesn't that go against all hunt recommendations and guidelines as far as established seasons of hunts and getting public input etc?

See page 15: http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/documents/huntguidelines.pdf

Since when have they followed guidelines and recommendations or even common sense?

• Like 1

Someone of "importance" found a unique, or huge bull after the hunts this year and wants to get first crack at it. we will probably see photos of a monster elk shot by that same person next year

• Like 3

Hunting needs to be strait up, no currupt politcs or businesses....this is BS I'm going to be pissed if one of these chumps pulls a 400 inch bull out in unit 9 on the muzzy hunt...

I figured either a commisioner has alot of points or a good buddy. Someone either wants first crack at the bulls muzzleloader or wanted archery later for the rut.

Thats my conspiracy theory. Someone with max points and a fat wallet. There will be a 440" bull shot with a muzzleloader this year in unit 9 and a commisioner driving around in a brand new BMW.

This is going to be a tremendous hunt and someone will likely kill a 400" bull. After all it is Unit 9 and having first crack at these bulls with a firearm would be awesome. I am not sure why they did it this way but I would love to have the tag!!!!! If I had lots of points I am not sure I would want to hunt the archery hunt after the gun hunters are in there. My understanding is the early rifle and early muzzleloader hunts are difficult when they are after the archery hunt because bulls are scattered and can go quiet because of pressure. Obviously someone slipped this in last minute and that is not how things should be done. This should have been discussed and I would be interested to know if someone who had the ability to make the change got drawn. The draw results are public knowledge and I am sure someone will buy the names for this tag and maybe they can pass on the information.

Having the Muzzy hunt before the Archery hunt is not the way it should be done. I'm sure this will be the only year it happens after they get plenty of complaints from the archery hunters. The rut might be going better during the archery hunt this year, but the bigger bulls will be educated or dead by that time. If I had a ton of points I wouldn't chance wasting them on the unit 9 archery hunt this year...