125coues

Taxidermist Warning

I am putting out this notice to anyone thinking about using DOUBLE BUCK TAXIDERMY to stay away from this one. I have waited this long to make a post, because I wanted my bird back first, for fear that I would never see it again if I said something.

My wife bought me the Commissioner's tag for turkey back in 2012 and I harvested a gould's using that tag in March 0f 2013 .My wife also purchased a gift certificate while at a wildlife banquet here in AZ and the taxidermist was Double Buck Taxidery so she took my bird to this shop along with 2 antelope heads that we wanted to be euro mounted , used the certificate and paid cash to him to get a full body strut mount on a base plus the 2 euro mounts.

Last March (2014) I was told by Rick while he was at the AES banquet that it was all done except the base needed some work and it would be ready next week. After many LIES and EXCUSES, Fast forward to November 19th 2014 after having to send him a certified letter threatening him with a law suit he finally informed me that he did not have the bird that he farms out his bird's to a guy in the valley and he has our bird.So we ask for his name and phone number so we can go get the bird and after a few more texts asking him to give us the guys name he finally gives it to my wife.So we call this gentleman and he says yes he has the bird but it is not done.we ask him if he has been paid in full for doing the bird and informs us NO HE HAS NOT.I tell him i will pay the remainder of what he is owed by RICK but he say's that is not nessesary that he will finish it and let me have it.

So today I finally received my bird thanks to that man and he did a great job on it ,BUT back when I talked to Rick in March, I found out that was when he asked the other guy to start on my bird and to do a rush job on it after leaving it with him for over a year with no word from Rick.

There is alot more to this story because as mentioned before we paid RICK to do euro mounts on our antalope heads and the picture I am adding is what I got, not what I call euro mounts at all and I wanted my turkey to be on a floor base not a wall mount on a limb as what i got.

I will never use or send anyone to this shop EVER and I would be getting in touch with him and getting my animals back from him if you have sent something to him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HOPE THIS WARNING OF A BAD TAXIDEMIST WILL GET SOME OF THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD BAD DEALINGS TO SPEAK OUT ABOUT THEM.

I have filed every text and email we sent or received to RICK LOPEZ at DOUBLE BUCK taxidermy and will keep them.

Mark Nixon

Euro mounts, that are not Euro mount

post-1911-0-57452100-1421126229_thumb.jpg

My Goulds

post-1911-0-21889300-1421126284_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My brother gave him a ton of work and has gone thru the same nonsense. Rick still has a bear that was supposed to be done about a year ago an did a coues for my brother that fell apart an fell off the pedestal. I'm to obsessed with my stuff I only go somewhere after long long research. Hope this keeps somebody out of a bad situation. Ps my brother also has paid in full for a life size bear...

A lot of Taxidermists get greedy and take on way more work than they can handle leading to this sort of thing. I had the same problem in TN with a whitetail. Took a year to get back and was rushed at the last minute. I was told 3-5 months. At least the mount came back fairly decent. He ruined the cape I dropped off, but getting another eastern Whitetail cape was pretty easy.

I killed a antelope in Wyoming on October 5th this year Rick did myhsoulder mount and had it done December 23.. Less than 3 months. Mount looks great and is solid. Rick is probably one of the nicest people I have met. Bummer you had a bad experiance.

I do not think 12-14 months is outrageous to wait for an animal to return from a taxidermist. I think 3-5 months is amazing, but I wonder if the original cape was used? Not saying it wasn't, just questioning how it was tanned so fast. Awesome if it was.

But, 18+ months, and having the work farmed out to another taxidermist is ridiculous.

I have only had one bad experience with a taxidermist, and this is not the one.

My current taxidermist, Krueger's Creations, is close to my house, reasonably priced, and does fantastic work. He is one of the 12 month wait guys though for a shoulder mount, but worth the wait. He has exhibits at Sportsman's, several museums, and even the Smithsonian. Plus he is a P&Y, B&C & SCI official scorer.

• Like 2

I do not think 12-14 months is outrageous to wait for an animal to return from a taxidermist. I think 3-5 months is amazing, but I wonder if the original cape was used? Not saying it wasn't, just questioning how it was tanned so fast. Awesome if it was.But, 18+ months, and having the work farmed out to another taxidermist is ridiculous.I have only had one bad experience with a taxidermist, and this is not the one.My current taxidermist, Krueger's Creations, is close to my house, reasonably priced, and does fantastic work. He is one of the 12 month wait guys though for a shoulder mount, but worth the wait. He has exhibits at Sportsman's, several museums, and even the Smithsonian. Plus he is a P&Y, B&C & SCI official scorer.

he took two years on a bear for me and 18 months on a badger. He was over two years on a friends turkey. He does do excellent work. Meaning krueger.

That turkey is the best work I've ever seen come out of Double Buck!! To bad it isn't what you wanted. His work has consistently been the ugliest stuff I've seen posted on the forums.

• Like 1

does any taxidermist consistently have a 12 month or less turn around? all of my mounts have taken 18-30 months....it's getting ridiculous

Lance- 12-14 months is ok to wait... IF thats what you are told to expect up front. But its skandlus to tell someone X months & it turns out X + 18 months & littered w/lies & thievery.

does any taxidermist consistently have a 12 month or less turn around? all of my mounts have taken 18-30 months....it's getting ridiculous

Good things take time!! Anyone who is getting them done faster then a year is probably self tanning the hides and that is a BAAAAADDDD thing. I don't have a problem waiting 18 months or more as long as it turns out good. There's nothing worse then bad taxidermy! I've only used two taxidermists in AZ, Mogollon and Scottyboy from the site. Both are top notch!!!

That turkey is the best work I've ever seen come out of Double Buck!! To bad it isn't what you wanted. His work has consistently been the ugliest stuff I've seen posted on the forums.

Pretty sure Double Buck didnt do the turkey mount, he had it farmed out.

• Like 1

I am putting out this notice to anyone thinking about using DOUBLE BUCK TAXIDERMY to stay away from this one. I have waited this long to make a post, because I wanted my bird back first, for fear that I would never see it again if I said something.

My wife bought me the Commissioner's tag for turkey back in 2012 and I harvested a gould's using that tag in March 0f 2013 .My wife also purchased a gift certificate while at a wildlife banquet here in AZ and the taxidermist was Double Buck Taxidery so she took my bird to this shop along with 2 antelope heads that we wanted to be euro mounted , used the certificate and paid cash to him to get a full body strut mount on a base plus the 2 euro mounts.

Last March (2014) I was told by Rick while he was at the AES banquet that it was all done except the base needed some work and it would be ready next week. After many LIES and EXCUSES, Fast forward to November 19th 2014 after having to send him a certified letter threatening him with a law suit he finally informed me that he did not have the bird that he farms out his bird's to a guy in the valley and he has our bird.So we ask for his name and phone number so we can go get the bird and after a few more texts asking him to give us the guys name he finally gives it to my wife.So we call this gentleman and he says yes he has the bird but it is not done.we ask him if he has been paid in full for doing the bird and informs us NO HE HAS NOT.I tell him i will pay the remainder of what he is owed by RICK but he say's that is not nessesary that he will finish it and let me have it.

So today I finally received my bird thanks to that man and he did a great job on it ,BUT back when I talked to Rick in March, I found out that was when he asked the other guy to start on my bird and to do a rush job on it after leaving it with him for over a year with no word from Rick.

There is alot more to this story because as mentioned before we paid RICK to do euro mounts on our antalope heads and the picture I am adding is what I got, not what I call euro mounts at all and I wanted my turkey to be on a floor base not a wall mount on a limb as what i got.

I will never use or send anyone to this shop EVER and I would be getting in touch with him and getting my animals back from him if you have sent something to him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HOPE THIS WARNING OF A BAD TAXIDEMIST WILL GET SOME OF THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD BAD DEALINGS TO SPEAK OUT ABOUT THEM.

I have filed every text and email we sent or received to RICK LOPEZ at DOUBLE BUCK taxidermy and will keep them.

Mark Nixon

Euro mounts, that are not Euro mount

attachicon.gifTaxidermy work 001.JPG

My Goulds

attachicon.gifTaxidermy work 002.JPG