Pac8541

Throwing flies

So, in the last couple years I've had a HUGE resurgence in the amount of fly fishing I've been doing. Far more time/money/effort dedicated to this than pretty much anything else outside of work. The fam and I spent 9 days in SW CO last July then I headed back up there solo in late Oct. Visited the San Juan in NM for 2.5 days before heading north through Dolores into the most beautiful mountains in the world. Spent another 2.5 days on the San Miguel between Telluride and Norwood. I've known this is where I belong for over 35 yrs. Why I'm not there now is something I struggle with daily.

I'm headed back to the Animas south of Durango in 3 weeks, gonna get about 4 days of cold weather fishing in. Might split that trip with another couple days on the Juan; its only an hour south. Here's a few pics I thought I'd share of the Oct trip. It will become an annual one. The colors and feeling of being in that country then are beyond spectacular and it refills my soul. Hope you guys enjoy, every trip up there ends with a drive back planning the next one.

IMG_8491.jpg

First San Juan fish in the net.

IMG_8495.jpg

Late afternoon storm rolled in and soaked me clean through what I thought was a solid rain shell. This 10 yr old jacket was replaced the next day.

IMG_8505.jpg

Great weather the rest of the time.

IMG_8516.jpg

Campground at 9000' right off the highway. Couldn't be more perfect.

IMG_8672.jpg

THIS is why I left the fishing on the Juan!

IMG_8593.jpg

The San Miguel near Norwood.

IMG_8592.jpg

First fish out of the San Miguel.

IMG_8664-1.jpg

The San Miguel near Specie Creek.

IMG_8512.jpg

A good meal makes all the difference!

• Like 12

Thanks for the pictures. I will be on the San Juan in April. I am looking forward to some Colorado fishing soon as well in the short near future. :)

TJ

• Like 1

A trout stream surrounded by beautiful country is hard to beat. I'm going to make a trip to the sierras this year myself. I'd love to check out some of those places in NM and CO. I started fly fishing in MT and WY when I lived up there. Loved it. The Bighorn River in MT is amazing, a must fish water.

Great pics. Looks like you had a blast.

• Like 1

Really glad you guys are enjoying the pics. I think I took as many photos as I made casts but these are some of the better ones. Thank God the new iOS for the iphone included a self-timer function in the camera! I know each of us has a special place that speaks to our hearts and souls, this is mine. While CO is full of beautiful places, the San Juan Mountains and the areas around Silverton and Durango are my personal nirvana and if I have the time/money, this is where I will ALWAYS choose to go. Looks like the weather is warming up just a bit around Durango, enough to make standing in the water all day bearable. We'll see. Doesn't much matter if I wind up with frostbite, I'm gonna do it regardless.

Havasuhunter: the Sierras sound fantastic and its a place I'd call my close second choice. I grew up in Thousand Oaks and the eastern Sierras were a playground for me as a teenager. Mammoth Mountain is still one of my favorite places to ski and I love the Bishop/Lone Pine/Owens River Valley area. Let me know when you plan your trip!

Lucky dog. Looks awesome.

Now that quail season is over I'm flipping my mind back into small stream fly fishing mode. This poSt sure does help the transition

I realized recently that I did hardly any, if any at all, fishing in 2014 and I usually get at least one weekend of small-stream fly fishing in. I'm planning for a busy hunting season in 2015, again, but I will be making more time for fishing, especially fly fishing. I've convinced my wife to take off for the Juan for the last half of spring break this year. I'm sure that's the only trip it will take to ensure future trips! I can't wait to be standing side by side with my 10-year old daughter with her new fly rod and waders ripping lips on the Juan. One 17-19" bow or brown and she'll be flying high! Thanks for the Monday morning motivation!

• Like 2