bonecollector

Scope reticles

Im in the market for a new scope form my 6.5, im still new to the long range game. A lot of these scope reticles out there seem to have a lot going on and a little busy for my liking. My question is do you need all the hash marks if your dialing your yardage?

Thanks for your input

Nope.

I had an extra fine duplex installed in mine. It works perfectly

In fact if your dialing your yardage they only get in the way. Some will argue they are helpful that if you need to take a quick shot it's nice to have. Under 300y your don't need hash marks and at long range you normally have plenty of time.

• Like 2

I dial elevation too, but hold windage. With that, you need a reticle that has hold off marks. I like them at least .2MIL spacing for myself. Going from .6 to .8MIL hold off at 1000 yards is a big jump. And when you only have .5MIL marks, it is hard to know if you are holding .7 or .8 off. And that could easily be a miss. It would really suck to have to keep dialing L or R a click or three as winds shifted.

With .2MIL windage holds, usually comes .2 or .5MIL elevation marks. Not too busy for my liking, as I am not engaging targets from 600-1200 rapidly where you do not have time to dial like a military scenario. So no need for an H59 type reticle with a Christmas tree. But on a prairie dog town from 300-600 yards, it might be really nice if your spotter is calling your holds and yardages. And if you miss elevation by .3MIL (or 1.25MOA), wouldn't it be nice to just hold the extra correction for a quick second shot rather than having to reach up and dial (or guesstimate your extra hold)?

There is a reason those reticles are so coveted by the LR guys, and especially the guys who go in harm's way.

• Like 2

Nope.

I had an extra fine duplex installed in mine. It works perfectly

In fact if your dialing your yardage they only get in the way. Some will argue they are helpful that if you need to take a quick shot it's nice to have. Under 300y your don't need hash marks and at long range you normally have plenty of time.

That is what I was thinking, wasnt sure if I was missing something.

Fine duplex on my rifle. Moa turrets for wind and elevation

• Like 1

Kind of depends for me. I find myself using hatch marks for wind more than dialing the windage. I do find having hatch marks nice for quick follow up shots if you happen to miss. Helps me to have some kind of ruler to make the appropriate corrections. Majority of the time though it's just extra stuff in the scope but I have used it 😜

• Like 1

Take a look at the sightron moa2 reticle. It has a lot going on like you said but the main aim point is a nice small target dot with space till rest of reticle starts. I was in the same boat as you are and have the vxiii varmint reticle Leupold. I wanted my new gun to just have fine cross hairs for turret only. I ended up with sightron moa2 reticle and glad I did!!! The reticle is great for fast pace changes in yardage and hold for wind in a pinch. My thought is this, if your gonna be shooting long range why not use everything you have to your advantage. Don't limmit your self with just a cross hair when there just may be that one time where a buck is last chance scenario .

• Like 2

I have the zeiss conquest with the rapid z 600. After getting everything dialed in the marks are right on. I don't dial since I don't plan on shooting over 600 and the aim points have served me well. I think dialing in your shot would be fun assuming you have the time set everything up. I have missed shot opportunities on deer because they fed out of my view while I was trying to get my gun set up without worrying about turrets. My nerves would probably cause me to mess up dialing it in if I thought I had limited window of opportunity at a big buck. The best option might be a reticle with aim points for shorter shots requiring quick action plus turrets for when you have more time or plan on taking a longer shot.

Dots or hash marks do come in handy for windage but I much prefer a clean fine duplex. I dial elevation but I hold for wind and don't seem to have any trouble holding where I need to. Practice with whatever setup you choose is most important.