Sign in to follow this  
Coach

shoulder dislocation

I hope I can get my shoulder squared away this year. Its a work comp case. So I'M covered on this. Regular Ins. coverage sucks in most cases.. Thats one thing I'M not looking forward to in retirement......BOB!

Coach - I feel your pain, literally. When I seperated mine I was a college student with just the insurance from my wife's job. I paid $20 3x a week for several months. I quit before it was complete because I graduated and took a job out of town. Two weeks later someone grabbed my arm and pulled it right back out. I never went back to PT and I regret it all the time now.

Missing that vacation will be tough, and the money is a tough pill to swallow, but it will be worth it. You will have grandkids you are going to want to pickup someday. You are going to want to bow hunt when you are retired and lift a fly rod over your head.

Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now.

• Like 2

I understand crappy insurance... Ugh! My favorite friend... Google, found some exercise routines on the web that look exactly like what my therapist put me through when I had shoulder surgery. Hope you feel better Coach, good luck!

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/shoulder-pain/dislocated-shoulder/rehabilitation-shoulder-dislocation

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/shoulder-pain/dislocated-shoulder/strengthening-shoulder-dislocation

http://mydoctor.kaiserpermanente.org/ncal/Images/SHOULDER%20DISLOCATION_tcm28-180826.pdf

Im not a doc but have experienced everything that has been mentioned here wrong with mmy shoulders and have had multiple surgeries on them. if I have learned 1 thing it is to CHILL OUT AND HEAL. man If it takes anti anxiety pills to keep you from straining that arm then do it and follow docs orders. My last reconstruction for labrum~biceps tendon-rotator cuff was cuz I did what I wanted to do with help of meds and since labrum was torn it caused body to try and compensate by making other stuff work more causing a way worse problem basially other stuff/tendons/muscles/ whatever is in there strengthened till it got big and started getting stuck and almost caused me to have replacement at 41 yrs of age.

Coach~Prayers sent for healing, wisdom & finances. Mike

*My learned wisdom is prednisone to be able to vacation and hunt and pretend to not have pain cost me my hips from necrosis. ask for wisdom instead of learning it the hard way. :)

BTW I LOVE THE 1st REPLY YOU GOT BY ALLBOUTHUNTN excelllllllllent advice

• Like 2

Hoghunter, thats what I found myself doing is using my whole body to do a job my arms should be doing and was hurting my back. I had the same 3 things rebuilt that you mentioned in your last post. Did nothin but rehab, and after 10-11 months went back to work and I feel like I did before surgery a year ago. I have some arthritis at 58 but I am not lettin the DR. blame it on that. He mentioned it the other day. I'M sure my age has something to do with the non healing but Iv'e done everything by the book. It's gettin old.( The pain). DR suggested maybe I look for diff. line of work where I don't lift as many hoses as I do in the oilfield. I am already looking at truck driving jobs here that require no lifting. Trying to get financially situated to move back to AZ. in the fall and this is screwing me some. I get get my 9 or 10 early rifle/muzzy tag I will be there if its only with one arm. Good luck to all shoulder rehabbers........BOB!

when I was in my teens got into a scrap with my older brother. however he managed to accomplish it.... I popped my shoulder out, pretty much had to tap out then. lol. (not saying it was his fault, just happened at an inopportune time).

In college, during a "discussion with elevated volume" , I chucked my keys across the yard. the overhand throw and slip, out again. It was a sunday night, and I found my keys and drove back to the dorm (about an hour down the road). Having a tender shoulder and nothing much to do, I was rubbing my shoulder and coerced it from the socket.

once under a truck working on the drive line, I went to break a bolt and out came the shoulder.

a few times working on big sewage pumps ... out came the shoulder.

over time, it got scary to sleep at night, because if I rolled over wrong.... out came the shoulder. Got to the point when I would sleep with a belt around my sternum to immobilize my arm so I wouldn't pop it loose at night and sleep on the couch so I couldn't roll. Until I got to the point where it would pop out with the belt on.

Lucky for me, if I let the muscles relax it would normally go back in on its own in about 30 seconds. I did get to the dr eventually (a general dislike of doctors kept me out and away), the third attempt found me a ortho surgeon who recognized the problem and helped me get it fixed. My labrum was shredded like cotton candy at that point. pins and bands and so far so good.

Like everyone else, rest and rehab is what I got to add. after it isn't painful, go get it looked at. (I say after, because the doctor is probably going to move you around like a G.I. Joe figure to check range of motion). Once it happens once, there's a significant increase in likelihood of it happening again, and each time more so. In the beginning mine would be sore for about a week. after that it would be functional the next day, because there was less resistance to slipping and muscles were stretched. Luckile I hadn't done more damage.

good luck and have fun with that.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Ilene told me about it last week while I was up at Tonto and just now saw it on hear. After reading thru all the post it's quite obvious you're not alone in your recovery. I never dislocated my shoulder but was a victim, of my own doings, back in 2007 when I had reconstructed surgery on my shoulder from another quad accident. Like everyone has already told you it's not a fun healing process. Hopefully your recovery goes much better than mine and others on here. Some of the best advise is to listen to your doctor and listen to what others have already told you.

I know how bad you feel for your family and it might seem like the world has stopped but things will work out. Jayson, there's no doubt in my mine your family will be right there helping you along the road to recovery.

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery my friend. :)

TJ

Sorry to hear about this Coach. I hear you on the costs...I had spinal fusion late last year to take care of a 23 year old herniated disc, and even with my insurance it cost a fortune.

That said....when it comes to long term health, you gotta do what you gotta do. There are plenty of years for vacations. If it feels off, get it looked at. Additional time and stress on minor damage can result in much more severe damage.

Don't rush it, or your shoulder will be loose and prone to dislocations forever. Get to a conservative ortho doc and follow his advice.

Good luck,

Mark

• Like 1

Hope You heel Coach. Mine isn't. Tomm. is 1 year since surgery. Time for Attorney and I hate them, but some times gotta use em.........BOB!

Get it checked out. I screwed up my right shoulder pretty bad playing football and never got it checked. I am sure a screwed something up that probably needed surgery.

I let it heal and continued playing but it won't ever be right again. I can't throw things overhand anymore with any kind of power without hurting for days.

I can play catch and toss but if I try and zip a pass I am screwed. I throw anything with velocity side arm now to keep my shoulder from getting jacked. Day to say I am OK other then some range of motion issues but it will never be right again.

Man, what DOES you insurance cover? Bodies are so very fragile, we forget when we haven't had anything major happen for some time, but eventually we all are reminded.

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone for the support and advice. It's potentially going to need surgery - I just got back from having a CT scan on it since my ortho found what appears to be glenoid fracture (very rare, of course) on the x-rays. The goofy thing is, it feels fine - a little stiff and sore, but oh well. He's supposed to give me a call this evening when he gets the scan from the hospital. At that point I just have to do whatever his recommendation is and "suck it up". :)

• Like 1