Sign in to follow this  
6ANut

My 2015 Unit 10 Speed Goat * Updated w/ Pics and Story

I might as well start my 2015 rifle antelope story. I plan on updating this thread throughout the hunt from questions I might have, to scouting pictures and hopefully at the end a B&C speed goat, in hopes that someone after me might find this thread useful when they get drawn for this once or twice, in a lifetime tag.

I had 18 points and was seriously considering just putting in for a bonus point due to the recent birth of my first child Miss Bailey Rose (Picture is attached cause she is just too cute not to share with my cwt.com family). As, most would know the added expenses of not only the hospital bills but also day care, diapers, etc has made $$$ kinda tight around the house. In reading, I had about a 3%-5% chance of getting drawn, so obviously I wouldn't get drawn. Well I did, 1st choice was 10-rifle and second choice was unit 5b-rifle. I had left unit 9 out only for the fact I noticed the hunt was moved to Oct and didn't really know how that would affect that hunt.

A guide is pretty much out of the picture with all my $$$ going towards my lil one and keeping some set aside for hopefully a taxidermy bill. So this will be a DIY hunt, kinda. I have been in talks with a few friends and cwt.com members that want to help either scout for the hunt, join during the hunt or lend items that I might need, like a long range tack driver of a gun(thanks BigBrowns aka Adam). I would be stupid not to accept any help, so I can make the most of this hunt since the next time I might get drawn my lil one might be married, ugh....

As soon as my credit card got hit, I have been reading on Google about how to score an antelope, it's much different than scoring an elk or deer. Eastman's 4x7 field judging helped but a simple google search of "pronghorn antelope field judging" gave me all the information I needed. Daily, I find myself looking over pictures on antelope trying to get a feeling of what a 80 incher plus looks like.

I have read some info about meat care and hide care. Seems like with the higher temps getting the meat cooled is #1 priority, after the animal is down and pictures are taken. Also, the hide of a antelope is very delicate as compared to an elk, so taking extra time to cape the animal seems a must.

So my first question is which unit would you rather hunt, unit 5B or 10? Or is this kinda like would you rather date the prom queen or homecoming queen? both are gonna be a great time and leave you with lasting memories.

Any antelope advice/tips/tactics are all welcomed.

post-8664-0-50467600-1427745126_thumb.jpg

post-8664-0-10930100-1427745138_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Congrats on multiple fronts (hunt and baby) I don't know anything about either unit and since I don't expect to draw an AZ antelope tag anytime in the next 15+ years, I'm taking to wife to Wyoming to give it a go this October. If I learn any good tips or info along they way. I'll pass it along.

• Like 2

She's BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I'm sure she has daddy wrapped around her tiny little finger :)

This is a good thread as it is a "rare" hunt for most of us and I love the DIY aspect of it. I can't wait to follow your experience and don't forget, Brian, to ask yourself ahead of time what your game plan is. If it's mostly about score, then you must be willing to go home empty handed (I know this from personal experience). It's a good question to ask yourself ahead of time so you have an idea of what your plan is and from reading the other thread on CWT about game meat, antelope was toward the top of the list for most hunters :)

• Like 3

This is going to be a great thread! Congrats!

P.S. Thank GOD your daughter got your wife's good looks:)

Adam

• Like 2

I have hunted 10 and 5b. Not much of either, as we all know what it takes to get a tag here. I did see some goats in 10 but not alot. Was looking for elk and deer. 5b same thing. Only thing I can tell you is do your "Do Diligence" and scout like mad whichever unit you get. This really can be a "Once in a lifetime hunt" Congrats on the beautiful young lady "Bailey Rose"

• Like 1

Wow Brian she is adorable! Congrats on the tag as well. Both units to me are equally good imo and I have spent a tremendous amount of time in both units. Hit me up anytime and we can go over some stuff!

• Like 1

Can't wait for this. I hope I can throw some help your way. What is your optics situation? Big glass is a must. I used a Vortex Razor HD 20-60x80mm.

Aside from that, getting close is the only way to judge these buggers.

• Like 2

1st. You need to up the ante! Lol to a 90" ante-lope. That way when you kill a 85" you'll be tickled to death!,

2nd. You need to be less than 100 yards to get a picture so you can estimate a score! Use a good spotting scope! If you don't have one beg borrow and or steal one! I use a 20-60 × 80mm Swarovski! And baby big eyes!

3rdly. Scout all summer! Create a pecking order of 1 to 5. 1 being your largest on down to 5.

4. Accurate Shooting out to 600 yards is a must! You don't want that monster goat to get away!

5. You all outta keep making babies she is really cute!

• Like 3

One of my buddies has either tag also!

So we will be out there trying to kill the next world record! LOL Might as well dream big, Right!

Or at least one bigger than that dink Flatlander shot. I kept telling him it was a dink. Hmm Hard headed kids! Man that dated me

Lol!

• Like 1

Sir Royal ,I am looking for a world record also...... Oh wait ,I am talking Elk..................BOB!

• Like 1

I think you should also prepare yourself to be away from your little girl. That is the hard part I left my one and only elk hunt because of my oldest daughter wanted daddy to take her trick or treating. But it was worth the tag soup. She is a doll congratulations on the baby and the tag

• Like 2

One of my buddies has either tag also!

So we will be out there trying to kill the next world record! LOL Might as well dream big, Right!

Or at least one bigger than that dink Flatlander shot. I kept telling him it was a dink. Hmm Hard headed kids! Man that dated me

Lol!

Haha, oh how a few months changes things. When that goat hit the dirt I think we were all on the verge of tears. Now we are all thinking about how to do one better.

If you do, I will buy you a beer or coke or big glass of water, whatever it is that you drink.

• Like 2

SirRoyal, you going to let me get any sleep this summer??

Congrats on your tag 6ANuts.

• Like 2

Hunter Dan let's go it's time to scout!

Somewhere there is a B&C monster growing up just for you and another one for 6anut!

Flatlander if we do better than that monster you killed last year. We will be on Cloud 9 1/2.

Yes I think we were all stunned when that goat of yours hit the dirt! Awesome times! Best memories!