Sign in to follow this  
chico

E-Scouting

So it begins--the e- scouting. Was not drawn but fortunate enough to go with friends that were drawn.Enjoy the time out in the woods learning the areas that you have drawn. Best of luck to all that drew elk tags this year be it bull or cow.

I love it. I've got no problem with people looking for help but it cracks me up when somebody's first post is looking for places to hunt in unit xx.

• Like 2

I got no problem helping someone in a general area, but don't be dumb enough to give up honey holes. In Az alotta tags You aint gonna have for years ,so whats the difference. Now a tag You could get every year Like a coues or Turkey I aint telling notta..............BOB!

• Like 1

First Post: I finally drew Unit X archery bull, been waiting 7 years for this tag! So excited to get started, going scouting this weekend.

Second Post (4 days later): I drew unit X archery bull, never been there before (no, not even once during the 7 years I waited for the tag). Not looking for any honey holes just some general info.

Third Post (Reply to second post): Thanks for the info but that info is cut and pasted right out of the regs. I was looking for a little more specific info and some places I can get away from the crowds. (Why wouldn't someone want to post that on the Internet).

Fourth Post (4 months later): I am desperate, I really need some help on where to hunt on my archery bull hunt, money has been real tight and with gas prices like they are and my kids in sports and busy at work I just haven't been able to get out much. (So hopefully a bunch of you have different priorities and have sacrificed other things in life to be able to have quality hunts do t mind just handing that hard earned information over to any weekend warrior who stumbles onto this site.)

Fifth Post: her guys I don't see what the big deal is, I mean isn't that what this site is all about, hinter's helping hunters?

• Like 15

Whatever happened to scouting for yourself? And why do people apply for units they have no clue about?

I personally love the challenge of hunting new units and seeing different country. I do a lot of e-scouting and help a lot of folks myself as well when asked. The last tag I pulled was unit 10 archery in '12 and spent over 40 days scouting / hunting that year. Just like every tag I've pulled in the past, I knew nothing about 10 before applying. Never stepped foot in the unit. I feel I know a good portion of that unit and will never again apply there - even though it was the best archery elk hunt I've ever been on. Same thing with 5a, 5b and 4b. IMHO it would be boring to hunt the same unit every tag. Yeah, I would know the area intimately, but it's not for me.

I enjoy the pre-planning work that goes into hunting new areas. I put in for multiple states and have no way to physically scout hundreds of miles away. It's a blessing to meet fellow hunters who are generous with information. I have made some good friends along the way and have been able to help a lot of folks make memories.

If I don't pull a NM or CO (LE) tag this year, I will be heading to Colorado OTC. I'm already studying maps in preparation for a "new" area OTC in CO. Unfortunately, I have never met a soul that will give a starting location for an OTC tag, but that's OK. It will be a couple months looking at maps, google earth and a dozen days of scouting with bow & tag in hand.

I do have a bit of an issue with folks' 1st post on any website asking for help. With a few pushes of a button you can find people who have previously hunted units and PM them for possible info which wouldn't tick so many people off.

• Like 3

Whatever happened to scouting for yourself? And why do people apply for units they have no clue about?

I personally love the challenge of hunting new units and seeing different country. I do a lot of e-scouting and help a lot of folks myself as well when asked. The last tag I pulled was unit 10 archery in '12 and spent over 40 days scouting / hunting that year. Just like every tag I've pulled in the past, I knew nothing about 10 before applying. Never stepped foot in the unit. I feel I know a good portion of that unit and will never again apply there - even though it was the best archery elk hunt I've ever been on. Same thing with 5a, 5b and 4b. IMHO it would be boring to hunt the same unit every tag. Yeah, I would know the area intimately, but it's not for me.

I enjoy the pre-planning work that goes into hunting new areas. I put in for multiple states and have no way to physically scout hundreds of miles away. It's a blessing to meet fellow hunters who are generous with information. I have made some good friends along the way and have been able to help a lot of folks make memories.

If I don't pull a NM or CO (LE) tag this year, I will be heading to Colorado OTC. I'm already studying maps in preparation for a "new" area OTC in CO. Unfortunately, I have never met a soul that will give a starting location for an OTC tag, but that's OK. It will be a couple months looking at maps, google earth and a dozen days of scouting with bow & tag in hand.

I do have a bit of an issue with folks' 1st post on any website asking for help. With a few pushes of a button you can find people who have previously hunted units and PM them for possible info which wouldn't tick so many people off.

I started looking into a CO hunt about a week ago, no clue where to go or start, the tag/license seems easy but after that???? Been checking maps and trying to talk people into going with me lol. Good luck up there if you go.

Most of us have worked hard and spent a lot time and money finding viable areas. Coughing them up on the internet is lunacy, but people do it. I have assisted others and have also received assistance from others privately. Even that is a questionable practice. Areas i don't hunt are somebody else's "honey hole", suggesting areas I/we don't hunt messes with other hunters. We owe it to one another to be discreet with hunting areas. I've earned mine for the most part.

E-scouters should asking about technique, habits, food, potable water, cheap gas, groceries, trustworthy mechanics, etc. Fact is, e-scouting works. Somebody usually wants to be a know it all or a hero. I try not to succumb but am a sucker for kids, old-timers, vets, physically challenged, etc.

• Like 1

I thought this was going to be a post about Google Earth, Lol. Half of my enjoyment in preparing my hunt is studying maps, Google earth and trying to judge terrain and guess where they are at.

• Like 3

I thought this was going to be a post about Google Earth, Lol. Half of my enjoyment in preparing my hunt is studying maps, Google earth and trying to judge terrain and guess where they are at.

Online mapping is the bomb. I've learned more about the west from my keyboard than I ever dreamed. I go all over the west. Look at regs from other states that I'll likely never hunt but check out sheep units, moose, etc. It's fun!

I don't want to come across wrong, I have received a lot of help from people for my hunts and hunts of my family & friends. What is disappointing to me is to see folk who come to this site and contribute nothing before asking for hard earned experience only to disappear after getting what you came for. Every year a big part of why I do draw odds is to pay my debt to our community. During the year people offer to help me with all sorts of things, an the least I can do is find a way to give back as well.

But, in that arena it can be seen as well, guys register, make three posts and then ask for help with 12 different draw scenarios, then once they draw a tag, not another word. I would compare it to the guy who comes on a hunt, shoots a buck someone else glasses up and chooses to pass on, let's everyone help pack it out, has some celebratory brew at camp, sleeps in the next morning and then jets to spend the rest of his week at home. Often times, people just don't stop to think about whether they are pulling their own weight or not.

• Like 7

Is E-Scouting any different then when you take all your best friends and there family to some of your spots, guys that have been hunting there whole life that thought they new how to hunt but didn't have a clue and then the following 5-10 years only hunted to where you took them. I have found when it comes to hunting if you want your spot to be your secret hunt with your friends in there honey holes not yours.

• Like 2