Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

Hunting with an order of protection - Questions/Thoughts needed

Well, it turns out both my ex and I were drawn for the same hunt. I knew this was a possibility but not too likely since he has been drawn 3 out of 4 years now. I figured he would skip a year, but no such luck. We were both drawn for the same early archery bull hunt in 6A. I stuck with what I know for hunt choices because I want my freezer filled and I know my success will be highest in an area I've been stomping around for 13+ years.

I have an order of protection against him. I know it's effective in the woods as well as the city (and country for that matter), but how do I go about enforcing it? I personally would like to stake out my few small sections of 6a and ask him to keep away, but I don't know if that is the right way to go about it or not. We both know the same areas and the chances are high we would cross paths at some point or another. I don't believe he wishes at all to break the order of protection.

On a side note - I hunt alone, carry more than one weapon, and can protect myself. I'm not afraid of dying or anything like that, but what I wish for is that I can go out on my hunt and not be bothered or fear being bothered in any way by him. Again, I'll add I do not believe he wishes to break the order of protection.

By chance......has anyone else ever encountered anything like this or have words of wisdom? I will run it by my attorney, but he is not a hunter in any way, shape, or form....lol

Please don't take this the wrong way but if your not scared of him why do you have an order of protection?

• Like 4

Since you both have reasons to be in the unit maybe your best bet is to not hunt alone. Take someone you can depend on to be your eyes behind your head and accompany you while you hunt. Out in the woods anything can happen.

• Like 2

That's a tough one. I don't see staking out a claim as a good idea. That is confrontational from the start. My preference would be (if was me in your shoes) to just go the other way if you crossed paths. If you fear boldly harm then it may be time to scout some new country and take the high road. Then again if your ex intended bodily harm it doesn't matter where you are even when not hunting. It's a small world you'll cross paths eventually. Not knowing how long this has been going on I would hope it was a thing in the past and calmer heads have evolved. We are all adults right? Then again if your ex is a real piece of work and the whole calmer head, mature thing doesn't fit, I'd be looking at new country, especially if you know where he will be, don't be there.

• Like 2

6a is a big unit and 14 days a short time I would hope he could be kind for the few seconds you might run across him or he might just see you and go the the other way or you see him and choose to go the other way, but dont go alone

interesting to say the least...............

I would think it would be like anywhere else in the city... at the mall or where ever you may go. if there would be a chance encounter pretty sure the order of protection says what protocol should be, ie. he must vacate the area.

wouldn't be smart to hunt by yourself.

James

• Like 1

Please don't take this the wrong way but if your not scared of him why do you have an order of protection?

When you are granted an order of protection, it is for one year. We are not quite halfway into that year. I've done a whole lot of personal growth much of which was allowed to happen because of the order. Not all orders of protection are for physical abuse and that is NOT what mine is for, and I will not get into personal details online. I'm a strong woman and I would have never asked to be protected unless I felt I needed it period.

I wish to have room to freely hunt without any issues arising. I like to cover my bases ahead of time instead of just waiting to see if we cross paths.

PS - I will not change my hunting style because of anyone. I'll go alone because I can and I will. I may or may not have base camp with someone, but the day is mine alone.

• Like 3

Restraining orders work both ways, to me if you are knowing going in a place that you know he is likely to be that is as much your fault as it is his. 6A is a big unit and it is pretty much all elk country, I would recommend finding an new area to hunt, if you need ideas of new places in 6a let me know.

• Like 5

6a is a giant unit with elk crawling over all parts of it. I would recommend To scout some new areas. That is the fun part of hunting anyway, get out and explore some new country and don't let something like this ruin your hunt. I hunt to get away from the problems of the world, if you hunt where you know he is going to be, you will be inviting the problems in. Good luck and enjoy the hunt

• Like 3

another thought on hunting alone... maybe partner up with someone from this site and check in periodically and camp together...

just a thought.

James

• Like 1

interesting to say the least...............

I would think it would be like anywhere else in the city... at the mall or where ever you may go. if there would be a chance encounter pretty sure the order of protection says what protocol should be, ie. he must vacate the area.

wouldn't be smart to hunt by yourself.

James

I would tend to agree with JLW.

Also, your question to this board is 'how do you go about enforcing it......'. Umm, I think you should look at the order and seek a professional's advice as opposed to going with opinions of those here. ;)

Good luck!

S.

• Like 3

Are things such that you could not call and say hey....this is where I want to hunt....where are you wanting to hunt???

Dumb question I know not being in your shoes and all.

Maybe some give and take on both parties making for a more relaxing hunt without the worries of it all???

Good luck on your hunt.

I'll definitely talk to my attorney when we speak next, but you guys are real live hunters and just one or two of you may have come across something like this. I read every response and have time to think about it all. I've been thinking of ideas for awhile and my mind only comes up with so many :)

• Like 2

If your not worried about him trying to hurt you and don't think he'd want to break the order why worry? Like everyone else said it is a big unit and unless you go and camp right next to where you know he camps every year you probly won't have any issues. Either way I would definitely try to get some one to at least camp with just for the fact you'll need help if u get one down. Trying to steak a claim on an area would only be telling him exact where u will be.

• Like 1