Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

Hunting with an order of protection - Questions/Thoughts needed

You can't stake a claim, its public land.... This isn't a place of employment or residence. He has just as much right to use public land as you do. HOWEVER, if you do cross each other's paths the order must be enforced (to the terms which is likely a 500ft or similar barrier). If you have a working relationship with him and can talk to him (many orders prevent that) an agreement of where you will be hunting on what days would likely suffice, otherwise treat it like you treat every other hunter, observe ethics. As stated 6A is a big unit, you will run into other hunters during your hunt and if one of them happen to be him, walk the other way and treat the order like you would any other time.

It's my opinion that knowing this was the unit he was going to put in for (and has drawn 3/4 years) and choosing to put in for the same unit shows something about the relationship you have. If an encounter was truly feared you could have chosen to put in for any number of other units.

Another note; you didn't mention if there were orders against each other (which happens often in these situations). If he has an order against you you are also bound to the terms in the order.

• Like 1

I think the real question is what your response will be if you happen to run into him (anywhere / anytime).... Do you have/need a plan?

There is no order against me. We do not communicate between us except in writing about our daughter. I totally knew it was a possibility we could end up with the same hunt, but in my statistical mind the odds were very much against it happening. He was due NOT to be drawn...lol I guess this is why it's called a lottery.

I feel like I should not be driven out of "my areas" and forced to find new ones. I think that's a total bunch of BS. The list of all the things I've been driven from over the last year is long, but hunting and the outdoors are my outlet, my sanity, and for now it's the area I am comfortable traveling in. Why?? Because I know it like the back of my hand.

• Like 1

interesting to say the least...............

I would think it would be like anywhere else in the city... at the mall or where ever you may go. if there would be a chance encounter pretty sure the order of protection says what protocol should be, ie. he must vacate the area.

wouldn't be smart to hunt by yourself.

James

I would tend to agree with JLW.

Also, your question to this board is 'how do you go about enforcing it......'. Umm, I think you should look at the order and seek a professional's advice as opposed to going with opinions of those here. ;)

Good luck!

S.

How dare you!!!...I only seek the advice of CWT members first. They know everything and are Free...HAHAHA....

As far as your problem goes...Sounds like your worried for a reason. No elk is worth any kind of harm. So just take someone with you. I'm sure someone would love to go on a hunt to call a bull in for you. I go ever year even if not drawn just to call for someone. This year my 14 yr old has it.

• Like 1

Are you looking for legal advice on what to do? It seems like you are not afraid of bumping in to the man, nor are you "afraid" of him so to speak. Justt go about your business and like many people have stated, if you do bump into each other, go your separate ways. Depending on how far the distance of the order of protection is, only 500' would mean still being able to nearly hunt on top of each other without really breaking the law. It seems to me that you want to take matters to "run him out" of the areas you want to hunt and are testing the waters based on the opinion of people on this forum. Please take no offense to my observation or opinion, as none was intended, I am just a bit confused as to what is being asked, as I' m sure some others are as well.

• Like 3

Are you looking for legal advice on what to do? It seems like you are not afraid of bumping in to the man, nor are you "afraid" of him so to speak. Justt go about your business and like many people have stated, if you do bump into each other, go your separate ways. Depending on how far the distance of the order of protection is, only 500' would mean still being able to nearly hunt on top of each other without really breaking the law. It seems to me that you want to take matters to "run him out" of the areas you want to hunt and are testing the waters based on the opinion of people on this forum. Please take no offense to my observation or opinion, as none was intended, I am just a bit confused as to what is being asked, as I' m sure some others are as well.

I believe this was my original question....

By chance......has anyone else ever encountered anything like this or have words of wisdom?

The words "Questions/Thoughts Needed" were also in the original heading

I typically like to get other people's opinions and then base my decisions off that additional knowledge along with my own and my attorneys.

I like to hear what you all have to say (or I wouldn't ask).

As others have stated, its a big unit. Id think the odds of a chance encounter pretty slim. If youre real concerned, let him have the old haunts and russle up a couple new drainages. The best spots are the ones where you see nobody, ex or otherwise.

you sure you wanna ax this buncha maroons a question like that? it's an interesting predicament. Lark.

• Like 2

women, cant live with them, cant hunt your units of choice after you divorce them without worrying about them calling the cops on you for breaking an order of protection.

why do people choose to air their dirty laundry online?

• Like 8

I think your best option is giving me your tag. I will let you know how you do. Or you could email him and ask where he is going to be and avoid those areas. Sounds like you guys could be civil for a few moments before blood is drawn.

No I have never encountered this. Words of wisdom is to follow the advice of your attorney as he can interpret the order better. Advice is hunt alone and try to avoid him. If you do encounter him it is easier to S,S,S alone as most get caught by someone talking :ph34r: :lol: :ph34r:

women, cant live with them, cant hunt your units of choice after you divorce them without worrying about them calling the cops on you for breaking an order of protection.

why do people choose to air their dirty laundry online?

I'll take offense to that one sir. I come from a family with zero men left (all dead or now divorced) and it's nice to hear what's being said from a male perspective. Asking a valid somewhat unique question such as this I don't consider airing dirty laundry. If I gave details, then that would be airing dirty laundry. I'm simply stating a fact of my life. I'm not ashamed of asking for help here. If you don't want to help me, then go on your way please.

• Like 4

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Not to trying to sound like a Smart A$$... but... live and let live... if you knowing go where y'all hunted together then you might "bump" into each other... Similar to running into each other at the mall...

$h!T Happens... if you both act like adults then no harm, no foul... and no one even needs to know about it. The tone set by the comment about "staking out" some country sets the tone for Drama... self-imposed Drama. I bet you are gunna have plenty of competition on that hunt, from hunters you don't know and maybe one you do?? I'd be worrying about my game plan and how to WIN, not who I might run in to... JUST MHO...

The question I have is........Did you 2 hunt this area, meaning your honey holes, before the breakup? If so then he probably feels like you do. This is my area. If not then do like most on here suggest. if you run into him, smile and go your separate ways. If and Only if he does something out of character or breaks the order then call the sheriff or someone you have helping nearby..To answer your ? tho...No...I have never heard of or come across anyone with this problem. MHO