Sign in to follow this  
willhunt4coues

24A thunder chicken down

We scouted for three weeks for gobblers and learned there was 3 hanging out with 1 hen on the same hill weekend after weekend. When opening day came only 2 gobblers remained. We tried but with no success to get them to come to us on Friday, Saturday, & Monday. On monday we finally called one all the way down to us about 500 yards from his roost only to have him work around us at 125 yards out. Where did they all go is all we could wonder. Knowing we needed to get to them we went in quietly with all our gear and got setup by 5:10 within 100 yards of their roost. At 5:20 or so I could see pretty well so I fired up the FoxPro with a fly down crackle. With a hen decoy and a chicken on a stick setup at 10 yards in front of me and my dad holding the other chicken on a stick behind me, we figured if this did not work nothing will. We let out a couple of yelps and a couple of gobbles. Within seconds we hear a gobble to our right and then another gobble to our left. 2 minutes later I have the gobbler from the right at less than 10 yards. Knowing he was not the one I wanted I waited to see if the other would appear and hope not to have wasted an opportunity at the first one. Next thing I know I see a big Tom pop out at 55 yards from behind a juniper, knowing 55 yards was too far for me I passed again. All he wanted was a look at what was making the noise and he went back behind the juniper. As soon as he did that I hear 2 gobble. Knowing that now there was 3 on the hill the other one has to peek and I hoped he would be closer. I kept them interested with the excited hen that the other could not resist. When he peeked his head out at 45 yards I knew I could get a good shot. As soon as the gun goes off my dad and I get up with our chicken on a stick and run up to the gobbler flopping around. We got to within 5 feet of the other gobbler alive. He had no idea what we were or what was going on. He stood around gobbling at us and the flopping turkey for about 3 to 5 minutes before slowing working away. We have never experienced anything like we did today. I just wished my son and nephew would have been there. They would have been laughing so hard. Being with my dad today and seeing him next to that alive turkey so close to each other made a memory and story for life.

post-2094-0-26332600-1430259289_thumb.jpg

post-2094-0-53221600-1430259339_thumb.jpg

post-2094-0-34282500-1430259357_thumb.jpg

post-2094-0-42804700-1430259370_thumb.jpg

post-2094-0-90981300-1430259396_thumb.jpg

post-2094-0-29088000-1430259556_thumb.jpg

post-2094-0-08191900-1430260341_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Sounds like all that hard work paid off ,sounds like an awesome hunt congrats that must have been cool to be that close to that other gobbler

• Like 1

Sounds like great fun! Congratulations!

• Like 1

Super cool! Way to hold out!

• Like 1

Chicken on a stick had me spitting coffee. Congrats on the gobbler and a nice write up. Memories with dad is the best part for sure. Thanks for sharing Clay. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Awesome job Clay, congratulations on a great bird. Sounds like that was quite the morning and would of been great to see.

• Like 1

Super!! Congratulations!!

• Like 1