Sign in to follow this  
oldboar

Alyssa's 4B turkey

Due to some work obligations, my daughter's hunt had to be moved closer to home 4B vs. our usual turkey hunting grounds in Unit 27.

A couple members calmed my fears about working out some new territory, and the hunt was on April 18th. Windy, tough conditions...and we got into birds. They were in the canyon bottoms, and we were on top...they eluded us on Saturday. Unfortunately, I had one heck of a flu bug. So bad that her second day of hunting (Sunday) I couldn't leave the tent for fear of crapping myself of vomiting every time bent over. Opening weekend of youth hunt came and went, and feeling guilty...and more than a bit sad. I told her we could go back the weekend of May 9th.

Saturday May 9th, two inches of snow, and again birds a lot less talkative...and again in bottom of canyon...hard to approach without them busting us.

Sunday, she bounces out of her sleeping bag...and I remind her we need to leave by 9:30...as it is Mothers Day.

First set-up...in usual spot is inundated with 2 hunter friends owl hooting, and coyote yipping trying to stay in touch with a lone gobbler on our ridge. They literally must have hooted and yipped 50 times in an hour and half. Nuff for me...we bailed to my secondary spot.

With an hour to go, I called this time Big Tom up and out of a canyon. With a well place shot, Alyssa had her second bird in 2 years.

Great kid, great hunt....great eating! Good luck to all those left turkey hunting!

Also attached is a picture of her Jake from 2014 in unit 27. You can see how much she's grown from age 11 to 12.

post-1232-0-08788300-1431466332.png

post-1232-0-36629000-1431466346.png

post-1232-0-56601300-1431466558_thumb.jpg

post-1232-0-20557800-1431466664.png

• Like 14

Congrats!

Looks like you guys had a great time ,glad all went great and she killed a great bird.congrats to the hunter and you.

Fantastic! Congrats to you both!!!

THIS IS JUST GREAT!!!! I love to see the little ladies out there. I can't wait till mine is old enough. Congrats on a FINE bird.

Congratulations to Alyssa and you dad for taking a beautiful bird! They sure do grow fast don't they!

That's awesome! Glad you overcame all the bad weather and uncooperative birds so your daughter scored. Congratulations to you both!