Big Browns

Do you agree with G&F forcing kids to take Hunter Safety???

Adam, I feel anyone who hunts big game should have to take a hunters safety class, don't care the age. Not at all to say that you havent taught them how to be safe but they have a weapon in there possession that can kill someone from inches away to hundreds of yards. I love you all and don't want to lose any cwt member to someone who doesn't want to sit for a few hours in a class and learn SAFETY. When I was young it's was multiple days of class once a week with a final day in the field. I loved every minute of it. When I applied for bow hunting in Illinois I had to prove that I took a hunter safety course even as an adults.

Ps I we need to meet up and puts some rounds down range.

Yes. Come to NM and anyone hunting under the age of 18 has to have hunter ed # to hunt with a firearm or ML. To pass our class you have to do the online class as homework and then spend one or two days in a class. Here there are classes year round and the ones that get full and have the most complaints are before the draw deadline. I took my Hunters Ed class in 1978, our law was passed in 1976. So with proper planning you can find a class "in the off season" pretty easily here.

I also took a Hunters Ed class about a month ago. The reason I did was my hunter ed class was not in the last five years and I wanted to give back. I am now a volunteer instructor for Hunters Ed. and am waiting to teach my first class in July.

• Like 1

Definitely YES. I did it twice. Once with my son and once to be able to go to Colorado to hunt. I got lucky cuz the guy teaching the class was a personal friend of mine and I didn't even know he taught it. One thing I remember and always will from the class is if you're ever lost just remember the word,

"STOP"

S it down.

T hink about your situation.

O bserve your surroundings.

P lan how to get your self out.

Kids can learn from this one thing if nothing else.

• Like 2

After running numerous youth hunting camps and mentoring many young hunters I would say that YES keep the requirements in place.

• Like 1

Adam, I wanted to chew your a$$ but it seems everyone else has!! Even with hunter ed mistakes happen. The class was a good resource in the mid 90's when I took it, not sure now now if they teach the sane or not? But I'd put all kids in the class if I had any!! I took it in a small town. Being biased I think a small town instructor gives more that one in the city.

• Like 2

I've been through it 3 times. 35 years ago when I was 12 and with both of my kids over the years. I learn something every time and I believe it should be mandatory for all..

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong. I agree hunter ed is very important. I'm just frustrated, because my kids can't go big game hunting without it. If you knew my kids you would understand a little more. They are the typical "want it now generation". I just wish there was another option for them to try it out to make them see how much they would enjoy it. Yes they can go on one of my hunts, but they don't want to go unless they can shoot! I know, they are SPOILED! I also know that getting them into hunting will teach them a lot of valuable skills and behaviors.

Guest 300ultramag.

I think if you put one of them through it he will have good things to say to the other.. and use that sibling rivalry ha ha ha good luck!

Do the online course! They have to take in the info given to be able to pass the test. Just an hour a day for a couple weeks. They can take practice tests too. Both my girls took the online course and test. I've taken the regular class 2 times years ago and then sat with my son thru his class. I'm sure your kids are great and would have no problem doing it on-line.

i took my class nearly 30 years ago. and I went a few years back with my boys It was a good class, the instructor was great. They have hunted with me since they could walk. But they still managed to learn some new stuff. Now my daughter and my girlfriend are going to go this summer.

Of coarse they may really like the class, after all it is not boring there is stories and videos questions and some show and tell. then you get to shoot.

• Like 1

I did it when I was 16, mandatory in NY. It is also mandatory in Colorado I believe for anyone born after 1949. Both my kids accompanied me on hunts from the time they were about 4 and when they asked to hunt does on the Kaibab they went through Hunter Ed in Gilbert which was evening classes.

Maybe four or six. It was fun and they enjoyed it. Especially my daughter because she got a higher score than me.

When they are ready to drive are you just going to throw them some keys? If you let them skate and circumvent the rules now they will think they can do it for everything else in life and you will be "potentially" picking up after them until they are in their 40's. They need to earn it and understand fail and reward.

G&F needs to have a lot more of these classes and make it easier for people to attend them. Kids and adults really get a lot out of these classes, way more than one parent can teach their kids, because the mere nature of being in an interactive environment with two or three instructors and thirty other people is years of knowledge crammed into a few weeks. Your a good guy Adam and I know you love your kids but you have your work cut out for you to bring them around and show them the value in it and explain that this is just they way it is and ask them just how bad they want it.

Everyone fears failure, that is just human nature. When they want it bad enough they will settle down and come around but do not fall into their trap, which is hard when you love your kids so much.

You're on the right path, but in the end the choice is up to them.

This class should not be an online class that can be taken willie nillie by kids or someone else.

• Like 3

Yes, I groaned about taking my daughter but it was time well spent. I have been twice now, my dad demanded I take the class and he went with me. I still remember it as a good memory and mostly a lot of fun.

So make a weekend out of it and make some memories during the field testing.

Hey Adam, they do them every so often at the Sportsmans Warehouse in Mesa, but I've noticed they never post the Sportsmans classes on the AZGFD website for some reason. Probably makes it easier to get into. I also had a buddy take his daughter to the Superior class. Might be the most convenient option on our side of town.