Big Browns

Do you agree with G&F forcing kids to take Hunter Safety???

This is like saying kids don't need to get a drivers license for a year after they turn 16.. Why would you not want your kids to be safe around firearms at that age? I understand that you probably have done an amazing job training your kids to be around firearms, but a hunter safety course will reiterate everything you have taught them to mold it into their minds. And you might learn some things that you didn't know before.

• Like 1

Yes, because many parents are idiots and don't teach their kids safety themselves. We don't need any accidents to fuel the anti hunting/gun fire. Don't need anyone getting hurt period, hunters safety is at least one small measure toward preventing accidents.

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong. I agree hunter ed is very important. I'm just frustrated, because my kids can't go big game hunting without it. If you knew my kids you would understand a little more. They are the typical "want it now generation". I just wish there was another option for them to try it out to make them see how much they would enjoy it. Yes they can go on one of my hunts, but they don't want to go unless they can shoot! I know, they are SPOILED! I also know that getting them into hunting will teach them a lot of valuable skills and behaviors.

they did try it.... you took them squirrel hunting. granted not big game but they get the gist of it.

should be hook line and sinker after that.

and as far as waddell... I recall many shows his young kids had to sit through an onsite class before going in the field at whatever ranch/farm they were on to discuss safety and ranch rules.

more options should be adding a few more classes to make it more convenient for the parents.

the big box stores should do more to help out (like a class every 2 weeks help) as much money as we spend in them.

James

james

WOW - I have NEVER seen CWT unanimously agree on a topic on an entire page before, let alone three.

Adam, I'm sure you have great kids, but on top of all the great points added above, imagine what a bad apple of a family could do to themselves and the headlines it would generate on the hunting community if the learning process wasn't in place and mandated for such a responsibility at such an age.

I agree 100%; I've never seen everyone agree on a topic. It's really nice to see for a change:)

I have to admit I still don't 100% agree with forcing kids to take hunter safety at age 10 in order to hunt big game. Yes, yes, yes we all agree that hunter safety is a great class and it helps teach safety and other important lessons. Let's be very clear, I do plan on forcing my kids to take the class. The problem is because I have to force my kids to take the class they have both lost interest or the drive to go hunting! This is very depressing, because I love to hunt. I want nothing more than to share my passion of hunting with my kids. I'm worried that my kids will not want anything to do with hunting, because they were forced to take a class. I'm sure they will want to go as long as they enjoy the class, but if they don't I'm concerned they will lose interest.

Adam

Kids think different than adults. Use your knowledge of your own children to find a way to make it fun without them realizing what you are doing. Maybe try a little reverse psychology. Either way it's up to you to show them that it IS fun to go to the class and what the reward is for doing it. THEY GET TO GO HUNTING!.

• Like 1

wait til' it's all about girls...

James

• Like 2

My son took it before he was able to hunt coues in az, he was 10 at the time and passed it with a 98% grade.

i went over and over it with him till he was proficient with it.

hey he had to pass as he was already drawn for the tag.

WOW - I have NEVER seen CWT unanimously agree on a topic on an entire page before, let alone three.

Adam, I'm sure you have great kids, but on top of all the great points added above, imagine what a bad apple of a family could do to themselves and the headlines it would generate on the hunting community if the learning process wasn't in place and mandated for such a responsibility at such an age.

I agree 100%; I've never seen everyone agree on a topic. It's really nice to see for a change:)

I have to admit I still don't 100% agree with forcing kids to take hunter safety at age 10 in order to hunt big game. Yes, yes, yes we all agree that hunter safety is a great class and it helps teach safety and other important lessons. Let's be very clear, I do plan on forcing my kids to take the class. The problem is because I have to force my kids to take the class they have both lost interest or the drive to go hunting! This is very depressing, because I love to hunt. I want nothing more than to share my passion of hunting with my kids. I'm worried that my kids will not want anything to do with hunting, because they were forced to take a class. I'm sure they will want to go as long as they enjoy the class, but if they don't I'm concerned they will lose interest.

Adam

Don't take this the wrong way, but if your kids lose interest in hunting because they had to spend a handful of evenings sitting through a class where they talk about guns, shooting, processing animals, outdoor survival skills, and ethics...then you probably didn't have much hope of them having long term interest in hunting anyways.

• Like 5

On a related note (not saying this is your situation), I have a neighbor who has recently taken an interest in hunting. I took him javelina hunting last year and he had a blast. He has two sons, ages 12 and 15. I decided to make the offer to have them try out a junior deer hunt this fall. The 12 year old, who loves anything and everything outdoors jumped at the chance and was super excited. The 15 year old hesitated and asked if we would be staying in a hotel at night where he could set up his Xbox. I told him that we probably wouldn't even have cell service where we'd be. He shot down the offer just as fast as the other one accepted, to his father's dismay. His father's advice to me "never ever allow a video game system in your home, it was the worst mistake I ever made." Noted.

• Like 3

p.s. G&F is not making it harder as it has been that was for the last 30+ years ... 30 years ago you would have gone to multiple classes for 3 - 4 hours a night with an actual teacher , then take a test with the teacher making sure you were not cheating , then do your Range Day ... Now it is on line ( Open Book Basically) and your range day and if you prepare in advance finding the Range day is not as bad as it was 5 years ago...

So true - 35 years ago when I took the class we had to drive into central Phoenix and take it at an old grade school. I wonder how my Dad even found out about the class - no computers or internet. I still have my books. Not sure why I have two of them.....black and white, written with a typewriter.

post-3538-0-70735400-1434067509_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

To me it sounds like they think the class is going to be horrible like school. I would try to change the way they look at the class as being fun. It sounds like everyone that has taken the class has had a blast.

• Like 1

I absolutely agree with it. I have sat through it 4 times now myself. Great course, great information, great instructors.

Plus, it gives you a permanent bonus point. A win/win situation. I wish they made EVERYONE take it! Too many idiots who have no idea about gun safety, etiquette, shoot/don't shoot situations, legal issues, etc.

• Like 2