AZ_SAWBUCK

Ground Elk Recipes

I'm running out of ways to cook all this elk burger!

Oh no, You poor thing!!

j/k Good for you sawbuck.

Anyone have any interesting ground elk recipes?

Game/Elk Jalapeno Poppers

Season ground elk and fry in pan.

allow meat to cool once cooked to medium - don't overcook, keep some moisture

mix meat 50/50 with cream cheese

half a couple dozen jalapenos for about 1.5 pounds/meat

stuff halved jalapenos with cream cheese/meat mix

wrap in bacon

grill to perfection

Always a hit when I go tailgating or go to bbq's. Doesn't matter what kind of game meat.

Also helps to partially cook bacon if it's quality/thick cut before grilling

• Like 2

run out of ways to use elk burger? BS. there's more ways than Bubba had to cook shrimp. enchiladas, tacos, green chili, tamales, rellenos, plain ol' cheeseburgers. put a fried egg on it, toooo good. use it in hash, taters, onion, elk meat, good stuff. make a big ol' patty and make a chicken fried steak out of it. fry a bunch up and then scramble some eggs in it and make breakfast burros. cook it, mix it with some mayo and whatever kinda seasoning you like, maybe a little celery, etc, run it through a hand grinder to mix it and use it as spreadable lunch meat. put it in beans. make chili. get a jerky squirter from cabelas. makes top shelf jerky. fry it up and sprinkle it on a cheese crisp. put it in turkey dressing. and don't never say you have run outta ways to use it again! Lark.

• Like 4

Lark you forgot to mention meatloaf. Lol

Maybe I should have asked "what's your favorite way to cook ground elk"! I guess I need to be more creative. Burgers, burritos, tacos, chili, cheese crisp, is about all I have thought of.

Not sure I want to try eating it raw as lunch meat. But ill have to try the others. Thanks for all the suggestions keep em coming.

If some one has a good meatloaf recipe id like to try it. I haven't had meet loaf since I got married 7 year ago. My wife's mom wasn't much of a cook so she had a pretty limited palet. She just started to like game in the past few years and is starting to open up. I know my 3 year old and 5 year old would love some meatloaf.

Mix your burger up with plenty of onions, breadcrumbs, whatever seasonings you like and manwich sauce. Throw it in a breadpan and put it in the oven for an hour or so. Pour more of the sauce over it, put lots of cheese on top and throw it back in for 10-15 minutes. Love venison meatloaf. I've even been making bear meatloaf lately and love it.

• Like 2

I'm thinking elk tacos (fish style) with cabbage, and a splash (chunk) or two of bacon, and some spicey Chipotle sauce!

• Like 1

A good problem to have. Use it exactly the same as beef, taco's spaghetti sauce, hamburger helper and anything else that needs burger.

You can get this here locally at cabela's or sportsmans or on the internet. This is the link on how to make your own summer sausage, bologna, breakfast sausage, using any game meat and a package of "SpicenSlice seasoning mix" It is one of the best and easiest products I have ever used. If you don't like this there is something seriously wrong with your taste-buds. ;)

http://www.spicenslice.com/products.php

• Like 2

This is a good thread - I'm also looking for some additional ideas. Been doing elk burgers and spaghetti too much. Time for something different.

• Like 1

Not trying to bash anyone here but when people ask what to do with game meat that they've harvested it's kinda odd. If you had no game meat and bought the same cut from the store (this post being burger) would you ask how to cook beef burger?? I understand asking for recipes on how to cook certain cuts/grinds, I've done it a few times but the general fact is that it's just meat. Cook it how you would every other cut. I prefer my grind elk, deer, rabbit, beef, etc. in loaf form or taco meat but a good ole burger is good too! Meat balls, chili, all the things mentioned earlier. Just think of it as store bought without the plastic and styrofoam

• Like 2

if you look again at the first part of the lunch meat, it says cook it. there is also meat balls, excellent in italian food. meat loaf was mentioned, another excellent choice. there ain't no end to the possibillities. get creative. one thing that elk, deer, pronghorn etc have that beef don't, is flavor. beef tends needs to need a lotta seasoning. game don't. a little salt and pepper most of the time is all it needs. be real careful with garlic. i can't stand it on steaks or a hamburger made outta game meat. makes it taste spoiled. when folks complain about stuff being gamey or strong it's usually because they ain't used to real flavor. Lark.