Sign in to follow this  
1denogean

what chainsaw to buy

guys im in the market for a chainsaw. for use im gonna be just the normal camping elk, deer, and summer. What are you guys using? what kind should i stay away from? also what length should it be. I usually camp for a week at a time so i want one that will do me good and that wont give me hassle. all input is appreciated

Thanks

there is a husqvarna for sale in the classifieds for a good price right now. they are great saws and that one would make a good general purpose, and around-the-camp saw.

• Like 1

My FIL gave me his Stihl 025 with a 14" bar that he purchased in '92. Ran perfect then, still purrfect now. It's definitely on the smallest end of chainsaws, but for my hunting/camping/Christmas tree cutting purposes at 12-15x/year, it's a lean mean cutting machine. Husqvarna is great as stated and that saw in the classifieds appears to be a good deal.

Maintenance is key.

Just researched this for a month. I checked out every review on every brand. Consumer reports. EVERYTHING I could to find the best one that will last the longest. Bought a Stihl on Fri. 7-3-15. I got the 16" bar and a 2 year warranty. As stated above. Maintenance is the key.

thanks guys, i looked at the one in the classifieds but i wanna get one that i can get parts for everything points to a sthil from the looks of it

• Like 1

For what its worth, when I was researching that Husqy I have for sale in the classifieds, there were several places that still had parts listed for the Husqvarna 137.

Sears, a Husqy dealer, had parts for the 137 and other places, too.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/137/3199/1503220.html

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/husqvarna-137-200503-chainsaw-parts-c-114486_114487_114890.html

http://www.husqvarnapartsdistributors.com/p/Husqvarna-137-Chainsaw-Parts

Just researched this for a month. I checked out every review on every brand. Consumer reports. EVERYTHING I could to find the best one that will last the longest. Bought a Stihl on Fri. 7-3-15. I got the 16" bar and a 2 year warranty. As stated above. Maintenance is the key.

+1 on Stihl.

I bought one new at Arizona Lawn King in Phx last fall when I got a wood stove for my tent. Told them I just wanted one to a few times per year when hunting/camping. Picked-up a nice 16" model that is PLENTY for my needs for under $150.

S.

My wife bought me an 18" Ryobi chainsaw for Father's Day a few years ago. Like most Ryobi products, it isn't necessarily contractor grade, but that isn't what I need. It is perfect for a half dozen camping/hunting trips per year at a very reasonable price. Three years of use now without a problem and runs like the day I got it. I just resharpen the blade every couple of trips. Not bad for just over $100. Most of the other brands mentioned here are fantastic, but may also be more than you need at a much higher price.

Also, for something like a chainsaw that will likely sit for months at a time without use, I highly recommend using Trufuel. It is a premixed fuel that is ethanol free and has fuel stabilizers in it. You buy it in quart size cans at Home Depot for about $6 a can. Certainly more expensive than buying and mixing your own gas, but it will save you at least 10 times the value of the additional cost in aggravation from having a chainsaw that won't start because it has sat and the ethanol in your fuel has gummed up the engine. It is also a super convenient size can that fits in my chainsaw box. A little goes a long way. I've cut well over a weeks worth of wood for a multi family camp with under 1 can.

Just my two cents.
post-6408-0-99702500-1436321217_thumb.jpg

Pops bought a new Stihl in '89, fought the shop for the hard case to carry it In.... Lost!! Ended up paying 10 bucks for the orange suit case. The saw cut 8-10 cords of wood from then til around 2002 when we got natural gas. Cut BBQ after that til I got it 4 years ago. A carbide chain and a fuel line later, now I cut 3-4 cords of mesquite a year with some oak and the dreaded iron wood!!! (Don't cut iron wood but hit it sometimes) Stihl is awesome but the husky for sale in the classifieds.... I wouldn't pass that up at all if I needed a saw! Parts are there. My Stihl isn't made anymore either but still get parts.

I know I'm going to get bashed again for this but for general purpose use Echo makes a really good saw. I cut about 4 cords a year of mesquite and some juniper and aspen. I have an Echo 440 with a 20 inch bar. Never been in the shop, original spark plug, starts in a few pulls at any elevation. It's 13 years old. Sits for months at a time with no fuel saver in the gas, fires right up. For the average guy Echo is a good choice also.

I cut a lot of wood and love my stihl saws. Have an MS650 and MS310. 650 is an amazing saw.

Anyways, having said that, my old man has an echo CS590 and it cuts right with if not better than my 310..... Probably better. 59cc's and runs a 20" bar with no issues. Echo is a good brand.

I don't think you could go wrong with an echo or husqvarna.... And you definitely can't go wrong with a stihl (don't tell that to singleshot though) ha ha.

I've heard the saws built before all of the EPA crap came into affect were the best ones made. Get a saw that has specs up to a 20 inch bar. If you ever want to get into cuts that big you'll be glad your saw can handle it. Buffhunter knows a lot and could chime in on this as well.

Good luck! I love cutting wood and running a good saw. Every man needs to do this several times a year and build a good wood pile; just feels right cutting down trees in a forest.

• Like 1

My 2 echo saws are the only saws I've given away. My 670 leaked after 1 season. If you want a long lasting saw stay with stihl or husky..

• Like 1

I've been checking out chainsaws recently. This is an excellent thread. Thanks for all the input guys.