I have shot many whitetails with 180 gr bullets..shot placement is key. They do not expand nearly as much as smaller bullets unless they hit bone. I agree with less meat disturbance with the round. However, once I shoot up all the 180 gr bullets I have, I am switching to 165s for longer range shots. I hope to be hunting a lot of antelope, Mulies, etc. in Wyoming in the near future, and might need the extra distance I can squeeze out of the 165s.

Thats a great round. I like Rem core lokts as well, if shooting less than 400 yards. I would consider sighting in at 250 yards to maximize maximize tragectory. Makes interpolating holdover easier at longer range.

• Like 1

Generally heavy bullets expand a lot less than light bullets and cause less meat damage due to lower velocities.. A 180 out of an ultra mag traveling at 3,500 fps, compared to one out of a 30-06 traveling 2700 fps, will be much more destructive. Velocity is what causes bullets of all weights to expand and cause damage.

Agree but I would add bullet design ( HP,RN,FMJ,SP, etc. ) to the statement as well.

Killed my first coues with a 30-06 and a 150 gr Sierra pro Hunter.

I shot mine last year with a 125gr Hornady SST with minimal meat disturbance and it dropped right where I shot it at 268yds.

150gns-180grns???, today all major makers bullets will get the job done...

Whatever shoots the best(most accurate) from YOUR Rifle, never mind what works for other rifles...

(My .30-'06 Winchester M7, 3-9x50 Nikon, rattle-can camo syn stock, 300yds zero, loves Federal Premium 165 trophy bonded... gotta few 100 rds of the same lot that "Bella" loves to eat...)

What??? You don't name your Rifles???

Hahahaha! Now, I need a name for my rifle!

Since it's a little heavy for couse, just call her "Heafty" :)

• Like 1

It look at one of the light .308 TTSX bullets. Fantastic bullet for 500 and in, plus they work amazingly well Pushed hard.

I like to test the versatility for the rifles that I shoot. I handload and do plenty of load development and testing. Here is my take on your question.

My 30-06 shoots 125gr bullets very well. My loads chrony around 3200 fps with a 125gr bullet from a 22" barrel. 125gr bullets fired from a 30-06 will have a trajectory that is comparable to similar weight bullets fired from a 270 win or 7mm. As people have stated, higher impact velocities will damage more meat, so it's a trade off. More meat damage for flatter trajectory.

Another benefit of a heavier and slower bullet is less wind shear. Lighter faster bullets will be a lot more subject to wind conditions. In my hunting experience, wind conditions will often determine my max shooting range more than trajectory does.

• Like 1

I like to test the versatility for the rifles that I shoot. I handload and do plenty of load development and testing. Here is my take on your question.

My 30-06 shoots 125gr bullets very well. My loads chrony around 3200 fps with a 125gr bullet from a 22" barrel. 125gr bullets fired from a 30-06 will have a trajectory that is comparable to similar weight bullets fired from a 270 win or 7mm. As people have stated, higher impact velocities will damage more meat, so it's a trade off. More meat damage for flatter trajectory.

Another benefit of a heavier and slower bullet is less wind shear. Lighter faster bullets will be a lot more subject to wind conditions. In my hunting experience, wind conditions will often determine my max shooting range more than trajectory does.

Awesome info!

Load it up with the Barnes TTSX in 165 or 168 and you'll be GTG.

• Like 1

150gns-180grns???, today all major makers bullets will get the job done...

Whatever shoots the best(most accurate) from YOUR Rifle, never mind what works for other rifles...

(My .30-'06 Winchester M7, 3-9x50 Nikon, rattle-can camo syn stock, 300yds zero, loves Federal Premium 165 trophy bonded... gotta few 100 rds of the same lot that "Bella" loves to eat...)

What??? You don't name your Rifles???

Hahahaha! Now, I need a name for my rifle!

Name it Barack. The world's greatest firearms salesman.

• Like 2

I'm kinda in the same situation, I use 168gr, and sometimes 150gr from my 7mm. I was drawn for coues as well, i normally only hunted them with my 270. Since I've switched exclusively to my 7mm, I worried about the 168gr being too much? Not sure if I should just stay put or come down to a 150, maybe 140?? What do you think?