Sign in to follow this  
murfys69law

Just how tough are Elk?

I was in Strawberry/Pine AZ this weekend with some good friends. We decided to go for a rhino ride in the hills just out of Pine. We hadn't left the cabin 5 minutes and see a heard of elk, 2 small bulls and about 8 cows with 2-3 calves. I didn't have my camera so you all will have to take my word for this. We were right in town when we saw these elk. They were crossing the road from the woods and going into someones front yard. I noticed 1 cow that looked really nervous. We got closer and then I realized what was wrong. She had a calf with her that still had spots on it. Very young but was getting around find. What I saw then was just heartbreaking. The cow had her tongue literally hanging out of her mouth. I noticed she was very healthy tho but I couldn't see why her tongue was hanging out. Finally she turned the other way and we could see her jaw was broken and sticking straight out the other side. She was very concerned with her baby and the other cows were getting kinda spooky so they turned and went back into the wooded area on the other side of the road. Just then another guy and his son came riding up in a sand rail and they had been watching them as well. I asked him if he saw the cow with the broken jaw and he replied, "Yeah, I saw her yesterday and I was talking to my neighbor about it and he said she has been that way for a couple years". This cow was getting by OK and still having babies. I was totally shocked but happy she was surviving and making a living with this tremendous injury. Animals are truly amazing sometimes and they are definitely tough.

Yep, amazingly tough. 'course, they can't go see a doc to get fixed up like us or our pets so they just have to live with their injuries. Can't believe some of the things I've found in elk while skinning and butchering.

* broken antler tip

* Broadhead with partial arrow

* Broadhead

* bullet fragments

* muzzle loader bullet

• Like 2

I have found old bones with broken legs that knitted together no where near their original shape, seen 3 legged deer and elk, found broadheads while dressing game, seen elk during the general late season with arrows still in them, seen pass through arrows on a good hit, and seen the same elk 2 weeks later doing just fine.

Tough critters.

• Like 1

I have quite a few trail cam pics of a little 27 bull with an arrow piercing right under the hide. He must have been standing broadside looking at the shooter and the guy put it too far right and slipped it right under the hide on the neck. My pics were from july, so the injury had to be at least 8 months old at that point.

My best bull that I have shot, it's front right ankle was the size of a softball. Obviously broke it and it healed that way. I have seen my dad shoot a bull that ran straight threw a barbed wire fence after it was heart shot, uphill. Hence, why I tell anyone that I hunt with to shoot until they are down.

• Like 1

My best bull that I have shot, it's front right ankle was the size of a softball. Obviously broke it and it healed that way. I have seen my dad shoot a bull that ran straight threw a barbed wire fence after it was heart shot, uphill. Hence, why I tell anyone that I hunt with to shoot until they are down.

Good advice. Keep shooting or flinging arrows so long as it's safe and clean. Plenty of stories of recovered elk with seasons of injuries, bullets and arrows.
  • Like 1

25-06 and I watched a 3 leg coues mount a doe a few years back. We were laughing so hard at the poor guy and amazed at what we were seeing that we forgot to turn on his camera! He got the job done. Mind you it was a missing rear leg!

• Like 1

Saw a doe in Utah one year had the right side of her face gone & she was doing fine! I couldn't believe she could survive, but saw her the following year with a fawn. Was amazed to say the least!

I found three bullets in my bull. One of which broke it's hind knee. All were old injuries and healed very well. He was not missing a beat when I took him.

Impressive to say the least.

More D

I have quite a few trail cam pics of a little 27 bull with an arrow piercing right under the hide. He must have been standing broadside looking at the shooter and the guy put it too far right and slipped it right under the hide on the neck. My pics were from july, so the injury had to be at least 8 months old at that point.

I would like to see that if you still have them. Thanks

Here you go. Tough little guy. I guess it was June, not July, but still a long time to be cruising around with an arrow in your neck.

PICT0087.JPG

• Like 1

Here you go. Tough little guy. I guess it was June, not July, but still a long time to be cruising around with an arrow in your neck.

PICT0087.JPG

One that guy is really tough. Two the idiot who "attempted " to shot this bull needs to make another round in hunters ed and a few thousand hours behind his bow and target.

• Like 1

PICT0087.JPG

Dart, man. You've got a f'ing dart in your neck.
  • Like 2

Growing up in a big butcher shop, it never ceased to amaze me what elk live through. Lots of bullets and arrows, even in the chest. A buddy of mine dang near centerpunched a huge buck a few years ago. Saw him chasing does a year later with a big scar on his side. Dug plenry of old broadheads out of elk shoulders

• Like 1