TonyC

Should we be using ear protection?

Earplugs or no ear plugs?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a type of ear protection?

• YES
    • No

You can buy ear plugs that have a flexible plastic band that will keep them on your neck. Just insert them before you shoot.

I started using them while hunting a few years ago. I shoot a 300 WSM with a brake, even with the plugs my ears ring so I carry the mouse ears now.

I think it depends on how bad of a shot you are :D

I appreciate the comments and may start carrying some. I've had several surprise shots in my day and fortunately most of them were one shot, one kill. However, as others wisely noted, if I'm stalking up and able to take my time (somewhat) no reason not to put in a couple earplugs. Hearing loss is mostly irreversible and mostly preventable.

I wear the kind with the ridged plastic frame and little orange plugs around my neck while hunting. Like $5 at Home Depot. Shoot a big boom stick with a muzzle break just once without ear plugs and you'll make sure you always have them.

• Like 1

Absolutely wear them. My ears are toast and there is no one to blame but me. My deployments and a demolition job coupled with a bad shooting habit has ran it's course. I wear muffs with micro phones while at the range or duck hunting and try to put something on before other hunting shots as best I can. This is one of those things that rely 100% on prevention measures. Once it is gone, you will not get it back.

One Mil doc described it to me like this... The little hairs on the inside of your ear have a life expectancy. They have the ability to absorb a certain amount of noise through out your life. The louder the noise you are exposed to and the longer duration you are exposed for is proportionate to the speed the hairs are used up. When they are used up, well... You are up the creek.

Apparently I used up 80 years with of ears in about 15.

With the information available today this isn't even a question. Protect your hearing every chance you get including while you are hunting, you don't get a second chance with this.

Awesome responses. I am currently using the basic plastic kind that hangs around the neck but eventually I want to upgrade and try the "electronic" ones.. heard of them but don't know what there is to offer out there. I never used ear protection in the military, lol. Between being a diesel mechanic and a 240B gunner, I haven't had any issues with hearing however the doctors did notice some scar tissue... With that said, I've been trying to be more careful. ^_^

Tinitus sucks!

When you have to leave tv on so you dont freak out when trying to go to sleep at night. shoot im sitting here now with ears a screamin! it will make you feel crazy cuz you never get a quiet moment alone once it starts. I personally have worn hearing protection since 1993 when I was forced to watch bunch of videos telling me how bad prolonged exposure to loud noises is for ears.

When I was 10 my .243 discharged in truck and actually burned my face it was that close to removing my head. I Know ear plugs would not have been in im just using this as a safety lesson also. :) ears have rang since! a recent botched medical treatment made things even worse. wear your ear plugs when shooting and avoid having your kids break laws while in vehicle hunting and avoid bad pain clinic doctors. ;) this is my advice to you.

• Like 1

I wear ear protection. It makes my bow soooo quiet. No seriously any form of shooting/hunting with a firearm I wear them and make my daughters wear them. It helps to slow things down to make one good shot. The worst my ears ever rang was only one shot with a . 22 out of a pistol.

I wear Walker's game ears because my hearing loss is so bad I can't hear turkey, elk, deer walking in or quail talking until it is to late. My Air Force days did that. My shoulders are ruined too. Hence I'm in the suppressor bandwagon. Stops hearing loss, stops bone jarring recoil and makes my rifle shoot better.I call that a hat trick.

This is why I bought a suppressor!!!! Done deal no worries be happy

• Like 1

I like to say I protect my ears whenever shooting any firearm. However, when I'm quail hunting I like to have my ears open so I can hear the quail calling or feeding nearby. Plus in the warmer months, I'd also want to hear any rattlesnake if/when I get too close.

Any other time, yeah, I'm wearing ear plugs.