Sign in to follow this  
madx250

Wild Mustangs

Does any one know if these horses can be genetically linked to Spanish ponies or are they just horses that people have turned loose over the years?

Thats the issue. The bunny lovers want DNA results. Alot of the indian horses have the same DNA because they got them from the Spanish. Most of the horses on the rim are from one ranch on the WMA that got out during the rodeo fire. Do you think those guys on the rez have DNA records?? I would bet the horses on the salt are from, mostly the rez. Bottom line they are non native and should be removed. Look at what they do for non native fish or shellfish in our waters. Get rid of the horses! I wish ppl started leaving some out there taking a dirt nap...

There have been wild Horses running around in Arizona way before the rodeo fire and yes they are a pain in the butt and left unmanaged a real issue... But what you say is a bit over the top since The ELK herd we enjoy hunting is not native to Arizona ( our Native elk were hunted out) .... I know a lot of guys up north pissed at the removal of small mouth from Rim lakes heck most of our game fish species are not native, and thank god for that....

The elk herd is at least native to North America. And we are allowed to manage their population. They should sell tags for the ponies.

Been saying this for years! Preach on!

I'm all for the humane management, removal of the horses, but seriously don't think I could shoot one myself.

Horses have a special place in my life, inbred or not.

Zebra might be another story. :)

• Like 2

I'm all for the humane management, removal of the horses, but seriously don't think I could shoot one myself.

I don't think I could shoot one either... Im pretty sure I could shoot a whole dang heard if I didn't run out of bullets or they didn't get out of range. I may even wear a smile.

• Like 4

I don't think I could shoot one either... Im pretty sure I could shoot a whole dang heard if I didn't run out of bullets or they didn't get out of range. I may even wear a smile.

Thats funny right there, I don't care who ya are...

Part of the problem is people humanize animals. They cant disconnect themselves from things that walk on all fours, eat off the floor and sleep in the dirt. Every living thing deserves respect and a humane living but they are not human! And if they are destructive and to expensive to remove alive, and shooting them is what needs to be done, so be it. I look at a horse they same way I do a pig, a cow, a dog, etc. It may not be on my dinner plate but its roll is to serve people. They are feral not wild. And deserve to be treated that way. People need to get a grip.

• Like 5

Like I said I don't have a problem taking care of horses, managing etc... just don't know if I could shoot one myself. I've had to shoot plenty of pets, dogs, cats, I shoot steers for beef and pigs for bacon with no problems.

Horses to me are a different story, it would be tough for me to shoot a horse. I don't have a problem with it being done, I just don't want to be the one to do it.

Most people.....if their land was getting ravaged by a horse......would not hesitate to get rid of the horse with the method of their choice.

I would like to see all those protesters put their money where their mouth is and pony up the money...no pun intended. How many of them pulled up with an empty horse trailer ready to do their part to save the "wild" horses? It isn't their land and they could care less what damage they do.

I agree with the post talking about humanizing animals.....and with social media the way it is now it has compounded that mentality!!!

• Like 2

Let the French come get em. Don't they eat them over there?

The Indians and hunters have been shooting wild horses on the white mountain and San Carlos rez for years. Then they sit on the dead horse for a couple of days and use it as bear bait. Most up there will shoot every horse and wolf they see. Most of them will also take your gun away and shoot them if you don't .

They hate the horses up there because they are in huge competition with the elk for feed.

• Like 1

Lots of small minds posting on this thread.You guys are concerned about the horses tearing up land that is open to jeeps quads or anything you want to ride.This land is already trashed from the offroad vehicles.The horses cost nothing to the taxpayer.But now they will cost us to round them up. There have been no known accident caused by these horses. In Minnesota last year there were 40,000 deer related auto accident. Should we kill all those deer? These horses down by the river have been there over 75 years. Frankly I don't care if they are Mustangs or what breed they are, after 75 years i think they earned their right to stay there.I agree they should be managed.Just dart all the stallions and geld em.There are less than 100 head down there. try really hard and think about how much public land we have to hunt in this state and tell me we can't afford to give a few square mile to them if you're worried about them pushing the deer off.I guess I am a little biased as I ride horses and mules and use them for hunting. Yea they eat money and shoot work but I got the money and I don't mind a little work.

• Like 1

Feral is feral.. Shouldn't matter if it is a house cat, hog, horse, burro or any other feral animal. Deal with them all the same, round em up and keep em on private land by volunteers, or kill them where they stand. Period. Both answers don't cost a dime to the tax payers and if the bunny huggers that are crying about it really care then they should put their money where their tears are and finance relocation to private property. Otherwise turn hunters loose and it will get done!

• Like 3

Lots of small minds posting on this thread.You guys are concerned about the horses tearing up land that is open to jeeps quads or anything you want to ride.This land is already trashed from the offroad vehicles.The horses cost nothing to the taxpayer.But now they will cost us to round them up. There have been no known accident caused by these horses. In Minnesota last year there were 40,000 deer related auto accident. Should we kill all those deer? These horses down by the river have been there over 75 years. Frankly I don't care if they are Mustangs or what breed they are, after 75 years i think they earned their right to stay there.I agree they should be managed.Just dart all the stallions and geld em.There are less than 100 head down there. try really hard and think about how much public land we have to hunt in this state and tell me we can't afford to give a few square mile to them if you're worried about them pushing the deer off.I guess I am a little biased as I ride horses and mules and use them for hunting. Yea they eat money and shoot work but I got the money and I don't mind a little work.

The land these horses inhabit used to be open to OHV's. Not any more. Me, I'd rather encounter native wildlife. Every mouthfull a hayburner eats could have fed a native species. Public land managers can readily manage most species, not so with feral burros & horses. Facebook cowboys now control the range. Every politician in this state has folded like an umbrella on this issue. Where is the Center for Biological Diversity now?
  • Like 1