Sign in to follow this  
maximus

Broadheads

A friend of mine has an early archery in unit 10, bull elk, someone told him to buy mechanicals broadheads and i told him that i use montec g5's and they work very well, what is your guys opinion, for elk fixed blades or mechanical?

thanks for the input.

Fixed blade. There has never been a need for mechanicals. Fixed blade fly just fine and work great.

I like Slick Tricks. They fly great and are super sharp out of the package. I never shot an elk with one though.

• Like 2

Basically it comes down to whether or not he is capable of tuning his bow properly. I pretty much exclusively shoot mechanicals, but for my elk hunt I shot slick tricks. I personally feel much more comfortable shooting fixed blades at elk. But If I was incapable of properly tuning my bow I would have no problem shooting a well made mechanical into an elk. Unless I was shooting under 60 lbs of draw weight and ultra light arrows.

• Like 2

I use both depends what I'm hunting and how I'm hunting. Example tree stand ulmers edge, they don't flout like some fixed blades will and fixed if I'm in my blind to shot thru the screen, mechanicals hang up. My prefrence only no science

Lots of good broadheads these days both mechanical and fixed. Assuming you're going on an EAB hunt, I'd recommend you make a decision soon, especially if you choose to shoot a fixed head. Mechanical heads can require some bow tuning too.

• Like 1

It's what ever you are confident shooting - I prefer a fixed blade - less chance something going wrong

over the yrs shot Zwickeys- old Bears - Bear chisel - Thunderheads - Muzzy- Slik Trick and probably a few I do not remember

I do not remember ever using a mechanical when taking a killing shot

if you take your time - get within range- pick a spot and place a confident shot in the kill zone - It should DIE

a friend has told me he's stuck on Swackers for his upcoming elk hunt - I've expressed my opinion but told him if you are confident then use it - it's your choice and nobody else's

Thanks for all the responses, i prefer fixed blades and i think they are better on elk.

Firstcoues,

he is shooting this coming week with broadheads, i hope is in off time for him.

Thank you again.