Sign in to follow this  
GJMauro12

Tame bear?

I was with my brother helping on his archery bull hunt over the weekend and we were at the bottom of a canyon about 1130AM thinking about heading back to the truck and a bear came up behind us and bedded. We sat 20 yards next to a sleeping bear for 2.5 hours and I got

An hour and 45 minutes of video.

I don't know much about Bears but always read online that the higher the ears come off their head the smaller and the bigger Bears will have smaller looking ears. The bear seemed very big to me, maybe just because we were so close but wondered what you bear guys think. The picture is off a TV screen from a video but still looks pretty good I think.

post-4673-0-77702600-1442356811_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Looks pretty big to me. The thing I've always noticed about Bears is that up close they look really small compared to at a distance. So if it looked like a big bear it probably was.

The ears are a good trick when it's hard to judge its size. Ears size means nothing when his belly is dragging the ground like the one in the picture.

• Like 1

I would tag that bear without any hesitation and would sleep like a newborn baby through the night!

• Like 1

Yep that is one fat bear!

That's a big bear. It irritates me sooo bad when people only judge a bear on "ear size". 300lbs+.

That bear is a lot bigger than the bear I saw this last weekend. The more air I see under the belly the smaller I think the bear is. I saw one with what looked like skinny long legs.

Let's put it this way... I don't think I would have stayed beside that sleeping GIANT! Looks pretty big to me you sure you were not in BEARIZONA? :) gr8 pic! Thx for sharing

Im not super experienced with bears, but ive seen quite a few over in 27. Smaller ones usually look pretty skinny and gangly like a 6ft tall 13 y.o. kid. Big ones usually look like a barrel with little stumpy legs. This one looks very big to me.

good sized bear for sure. also, it's a knowed fact that bears like to rest up awhile before they eat folks. you're lucky he didn't eat ya. you shoulda got some photos of you pettin' him. :lol: Lark.

• Like 1

When he first came in to lay down I don't think he knew we were there since we had good wind. After an hour you can see him stick his nose toward us as the wind shifted but he didn't seem to care.

After that we pretty much bugged the bear the whole time with little reaction. I lip squeaked, cow called, snapped twigs, talked in a regular voice, threw a granola bar at him and all he would do is lift his head to look at us before going back to sleep.

Pretty sure I seen some regs rolled up in his back pocket.

• Like 5