Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

Looking for beef or pork fat. Anyone know????

My son just killed his cow and we boned it out in the field. We r now home and r gonna ground this all up but want to add sime fat. Where can i get some. Anybody know off hand? Need some soon

You can call frys grocerys store and ask them to save there trimmings for the following morning and they'll hold it for you to pick up usually.

I usually grind bacon in mine.you get the fat from the bacon plus it tastes good.Its alittle pricey though.

• Like 2

frys gave me 20lbs for free. bashas wanted a buck a pound. you wont find pork fat at the grocery stores. have to go to midwestern meats or other butcher shops for that, and they will charge dor it.

• Like 1

How much you need, we have some in the freezer.

I'll look in the morning, I know I get about that much fat per hog. But we render it down from time to time for lard.

Most meat shops (not grocery stores) sell it. Problem is most want $2 or more per pound which is absurd for what is essentially throw away scraps. I prefer mixing pork fat rather than beef fat, so I'd go one of two routes.

1.Bacon-At Walmart you can buy a 3 pound pack of bacon end cuts and scraps for around $7. This grinds great with your game and is about what most places want for fat scraps.

2.Pork butt roasts-They have a really high fat content which is why they are so great for smoking. Watch the sales and you can usually pick them up for about $1 per pound. Last week restaurant depot had them on sale for $1.09 per pound for boneless butt roasts. My buddy and I picked up a 70 pound case for our upcoming deer and elk hunts. It grinds great with game.

• Like 1